Here we go...

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Has anyone used landscape fabric as their liner underlayment?

My concern with this is that the ones I have seen only have about a 5 year lifespan before they start to break down. I used some on my back hill and it is breaking down quite a bit. I don't think the underlayment that you can buy is that expensive, it is very thick and will protect the liner from rocks and roots better.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can buy the really heavy landscape liner like I have .I even have the cheaper stuff under some of my flower beds and still have to fight to rip it to put in new plants .I put a layer of sand under the pond just in case any rocks try to come up .I used the course sand and a mix of fine sand that I had here already for some cement work I was doing .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking good! and yup always go deeper and bigger than originally planned...I've learned that from this forum! lol Have fun!

Reaction score
Even newspaper works as underlayment. No O2, no decay, at least in clay soil. I just whatever I can get free. Carpet, carpet padding, old clothes. Like JW said, many times underlayment isn't needed.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Since we have no trees and found little to no rocks in the area we dug, we've decided to use landscape fabric as our underlayment. We purchased 4 tons of Arkansas fieldstone today. I absolutely love the moss on the rock. Husband wanted to wash that off. LOL It rained last night so we weren't able to work on it today. Maybe tomorrow. :razz: Again a huge thanks to everyone for answering all my questions!!! This forum is fabulous.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 181
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 188

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The moss on the rocks make them look all the more natural around the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing it will not last if in full sun and I 'm sure turtles will have a say in it also

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We got some rain over the last few days and now have some water in our future pond. We managed to get the shape of our waterfall done yesterday and now are wondering about progressing with water in the hole. Have the underlayment and liner was delivered today. Question.... Do I need to let all the water in the hole dry up before we put in our underlayment and liner? Is there to much water in the hole to proceed right now.

I seem to have a never ending supply of questions!

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 207
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol sure hope he/she doesn't jump in there (what a mess that would be)...I'd bucket it out before placing the underlayment/liner...but thats just my opinion

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would get out as much as possible, it will soak in, but then you will have the empty space where the water was for the liner to settle into.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My husband is bringing home a pump to try and get most of it out. In the meantime, he is working on the stock tank for our filter. This whole process is alot of work but we've really enjoyed every moment of it. Dr told me I have tendonitis.... probably from the digging. :sad: I have read so many threads on here and it's great to see what others have done and to get more and more ideas.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Little aches and pains go with pond building, pretty physical work You will forget all that when you are admiring your beautiful pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Agree with Addy get as much water out as possible. Will make it easier to get the folds done the way you want without the liner floating in the bottom.

Ask a Question