water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bettasngoldfish said:
eekkk! addy I just love the second photo of all your goldies :heartpump: Just awesome
Thanks all pond mutts! I have ended up with a bunch with long fins, from red to pure white and of course shubbies of all colors

29dxz6s.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mmathis said:
JW, you say you will run a rope through the edges in order to pull it tight. I'm a "visual" person, so I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but what I envision is a HUGE HAIRNET over the pond. Is that something like the effect -- covers the top, but adjustable around the edges?
TM here is a shot of one of the edges, not the best, I was working on the pond, pulling lilies etc have not settled it back into place. The rope gives you a firm edge to use for hanging it, without the rope the net stretches any way it wants. The part draping down to the ground is xx feet past the rope, at this point around 3 feet. It is like a hairnet, but a hairnet touches your hair this hangs xx feet over the pond, makes it real easy to work on it.

2i8aq84.jpg

Here is how it looks an overview. Remember the side towards the camera is a 4 foot drop to the water, it looks open, but the heron can't duck down under it as it walks down the slope, so no need to have a drop to the ground here.

25j84so.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those pix help me to see more on how you did it too addy and thanks for all your help. I may need more as I do this if you don't mind.
Going out tomorrow to get the supplies I need to rope it and sew the fish line in it. Oh and clips too!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Those pix help me to see more on how you did it too addy and thanks for all your help. I may need more as I do this if you don't mind.
Going out tomorrow to get the supplies I need to rope it and sew the fish line in it. Oh and clips too!
any time

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I worked some more out there today on the net and was able to get the fish line all done that holds the 2 pieces of net together. I still need to cinch the fish line up tighter tho as it is still kinda loose. Got the rope woven around the net area where it will be tied off to the posts. Had to tie each of the corners of the rope to the netting w/ some smaller twine as it wants to slip and go it's own way. This way when moving it to the pond maybe it will be easier to keep it in place. Hard to see the rope on the one side as I tucked it down into the driveway seam and put rocks over it to hold it still and other sides all I could use were rocks.
The one photo is of the temporary net over the pond right now w/ the tiny screen like holes. Last night it got so cold and the net was lower down than in this photo that the geyser fountain hit the top of the net and water was freezing bringing the net down even lower. Have it all raised up higher again now so that should not happen again.
Maybe just maybe I will have it on the pond tomorrow :cheerful:

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

IMG_5308.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here is a photo of what is happening to the temporary net each night. It is pulling that net down but the ice breaks off when the sun warms it and then the net pops back up now since I raised it a bit. The new net will be up higher so this cannot happen. So getting my butt out there now to work on getting that new one up today.

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Didn't get a lot done today on the net and I forgot that I needed to burn the cut ends w/ a lighter so they won't unravel. So sat on a stool out there and did that really monotonous job but got it done. Took out the extra line of fish line I sewed in it yesterday as I didn't like the way I had it. I will just leave the one in there for now and then in Summer when it warms up in the pond I will wade in there and do it then and it will be much easier to do that way too. I think also I will leave the old net on there when installing the new net as it will be easy to pull that old net outta there and that way I will have a platform for the net to lay on while I adjust it all.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great idea! we are still sitting in the 50's, but tomorrow....................33 day 17 night

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't want to go out there yet to work on the net................it's 23F!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Got it up but boy was it a pain! I had to take the back side rope off about 10 times and reweave it as it just wasn't right. I just have some random ropes right now wound around the posts for now to keep it up high. I'll have to fix some nicer looking way later cuz I am beat right now and it's getting dark and cold out there now. Found out tho I cannot leave the net hang all the way to the ground cuz silly cat went in there and got her head and collar stuck in the mesh holes and I heard this coughing sound and had to go rescue her. Have the bottom of the net tied up higher so that hopefully won't happen again. Sheesh!
I hope that darn heron can't get in there now.

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow looks great jw! that heron will give up now! You did a way more detailed job then I did. Love the look, you can barely see it! FANTASTIC!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did some tweaking w/ the rope today and took off the corner tie rope that look big and bulky. Now I just have clips through the rope and clipped to a wire around the posts. All fixed now so heron can't get under or in and cats hopefully can't find a place to get wound up in the net holes!

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
come and finish mine now, thats looks great