Heron netting 101

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Here is a photo of what is happening to the temporary net each night. It is pulling that net down but the ice breaks off when the sun warms it and then the net pops back up now since I raised it a bit. The new net will be up higher so this cannot happen. So getting my butt out there now to work on getting that new one up today.

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Didn't get a lot done today on the net and I forgot that I needed to burn the cut ends w/ a lighter so they won't unravel. So sat on a stool out there and did that really monotonous job but got it done. Took out the extra line of fish line I sewed in it yesterday as I didn't like the way I had it. I will just leave the one in there for now and then in Summer when it warms up in the pond I will wade in there and do it then and it will be much easier to do that way too. I think also I will leave the old net on there when installing the new net as it will be easy to pull that old net outta there and that way I will have a platform for the net to lay on while I adjust it all.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Great idea! we are still sitting in the 50's, but tomorrow....................33 day 17 night

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Don't want to go out there yet to work on the net................it's 23F!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Got it up but boy was it a pain! I had to take the back side rope off about 10 times and reweave it as it just wasn't right. I just have some random ropes right now wound around the posts for now to keep it up high. I'll have to fix some nicer looking way later cuz I am beat right now and it's getting dark and cold out there now. Found out tho I cannot leave the net hang all the way to the ground cuz silly cat went in there and got her head and collar stuck in the mesh holes and I heard this coughing sound and had to go rescue her. Have the bottom of the net tied up higher so that hopefully won't happen again. Sheesh!
I hope that darn heron can't get in there now.

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Wow looks great jw! that heron will give up now! You did a way more detailed job then I did. Love the look, you can barely see it! FANTASTIC!

Reactions: j.w

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
I did some tweaking w/ the rope today and took off the corner tie rope that look big and bulky. Now I just have clips through the rope and clipped to a wire around the posts. All fixed now so heron can't get under or in and cats hopefully can't find a place to get wound up in the net holes!

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
come and finish mine now, thats looks great

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
HaH, had a visit yesterday from the heron and he stood by my pond looking up,down, around and around at the net I put up. Then he jumped up on a bush and sat there looking some more. He then walked around the front of the pond slowly to the other end. Stood there checking out from top to bottom then backed up a few steps and turned around and flew off. Yay 1 win for me and you lose Mr Heron! My net is working great :banana:

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
I just love that netting, mr heron flies over every day, never stops anymore! Not an eye sore, high above the water so you can work on the pond without removing. And mine is handling the snow fall just fine!

YEAH for JW Mr Heron ZERO Ms JW ONE!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Yep I agree and we got some snow today and the net was doing just fine w/ it. So,so glad I put that up and like you said w/ it up high like that I can just lift the bottom edge of hanging part of net, throw it up top and voila I'm in the pond working. Gives me such peace of mind all the time knowing my fish buddies are protected and it does not interfere w/ seeing anything

IMG_5340.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
You did such a neat job! come and redo mine! Nice snow btw

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Yours looks fine. You just need to pull it nice and tight or maybe you already did and then it won't sag much when it gets wet or freezing snow collects on it. I still need to test mine w/ when it snows then freezes and then snows some more. Wondering if it will get too heavy w/ over and over new snow/freezing?

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
The new piece of netting, finer threads, did not even move with the snow load and freezing rain. I had it just placed over posts, no attachments. The main pond net, heavier thread weave, did sag some. I found out yesterday one of my support posts is loose i.e. it is about ready to fall over which let the net sag as much as it did. The snow is melting so going to drive in a new post today tighten it all up. Once the snow melted, off the net, it sprung right back up into place. Darn herons are still around so I can not pull it. They overwinter here, which you would think would not happen.

I had herons trying to fish every day all summer before I put up this net, now they just fly over, they fly over every morning and night during the summer. We are in their rookery to feed flight path. They must see it and decide they can do nothing to the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
They stay here all year also and I'm sure they fly right over all these ponds around here that everyone has so nicely set up...............for them..............they think. Not getting our netted fish tho, uh,uh no way. Ha Ha Mr heron, go down to the rivers and lakes to find your sushi now

tenchi

Tenchi
Reaction score
I hope the herons don't get tangled in the net, if they do, good luck. The net is black, looks like a Japanese mist net used to live trap birds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Heron's always fly down to the ground around the pond and walk around looking at the net from top to bottom. Don't think they are just gonna dive bomb straight into the net. They are way more cautious then that. They remind me of Columbo the detective checking out every little detail before they make their move. The net has 4" square holes so small birds can fly right through it safely. Now I suppose if a hawk were to dive down on the pond he might get tangled. The net is actually a gill net that fisherman use that is white to begin w/ but I had them coat it w/ black weather proof coating to make it last longer.

Ask a Question