Heron Safe?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
is there a size fish reach where they are just to big for a heron to mess with? Ive also read if you have large and small fish in a pond, they will catch and toss large fish onto the lawn to get them out of the way of the smaller fish. true or false? ive had to run off a heron a couple of times in september, i once ran him off, he flew to roof top 100 yards away,i went back inside. he was on his way back before i got the door all ,the way shut.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They will spear fish that are too big to pull out of the pond and leave them to die.
Your best bet is to dispatch it discretely.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I have heard that too. but, only to get them out of the way, from catching the smaller ones. They have to be able to swallow them whole. My thoughts are, that if thats true; at what size are they safe? All my goldies are going to my friends pond this spring, I will keep all my smaller fish in the basement pond, untill they are of adequate size,if there is one.I'm guessing that my koi should be 11"/12" by may. my question is: at what size are they too big to be eaten,and will they still get speared an chucked on the shore,with no smaller fish to eat..?

Ask a Question