Herring help

Reaction score
i know this has been asked but I don't have time to research what is the best way to keep herrings away? I had my first this season. I use to use a net but was wondering if fishing line going back and forth would help. Please help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah! You mean herons. Some people have success with fishing line, but many have reported that the birds will just patiently pick their way around the lines. Some people use a water scarecrow to blast the bird when it approaches the pond. Some people say their dogs scare the birds away. But by far the most effective technique is still a net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah! You mean herons. Some people have success with fishing line, but many have reported that the birds will just patiently pick their way around the lines. Some people use a water scarecrow to blast the bird when it approaches the pond. Some people say their dogs scare the birds away. But by far the most effective technique is still a net.
I concur with @Lisak1 , once they know they cannot get at your fish they will go to find a source of fish elsware.
They are protected both in the UK and US so you cant harm them in any way.
Howver in Cornwall we the Trago Mills store owner who took a shotgun to his tormentor and was find over £2,000 UKP, being a millionaire he said it was worth paying the fine for shooting it as the fine as the fish it was trying to catch was worth much much more than £2,000UKP
I have a high powered catapult to spook any that happen along however as of yet I've yet to use it, who knows they may have already got the message :LOL: :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
So how do u have plants in the pond if u have the netting

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So how do u have plants in the pond if u have the netting
Depends on how many plants you have. One year I cut a hole in the net for the blue flag iris to grow through and had a string of fishing line around the edge of the pond. This year I raised the net with some stakes (you can see the stakes with the raised net on the left side of the picture).

2016-7-7 front (2).JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I and JW use a wide weave gill fishing net, the openings are around 4 inches wide. We both have it hung around 2-3 feet above the water, draping down a little on the sides. Fence posts hold it up. It does not interfere with any of the pond plants or small birds get trapped or frogs etc.

It has totally stopped the heron for me, we are in their flight path. I can lift the net off the pond easily, if I want to wade in to groom the lilies or I can even walk under it.

@j.w she has a good thread on it and once she logs in will post a link.

Reaction score
I and JW use a wide weave gill fishing net, the openings are around 4 inches wide. We both have it hung around 2-3 feet above the water, draping down a little on the sides. Fence posts hold it up. It does not interfere with any of the pond plants or small birds get trapped or frogs etc.

It has totally stopped the heron for me, we are in their flight path. I can lift the net off the pond easily, if I want to wade in to groom the lilies or I can even walk under it.

@j.w she has a good thread on it and once she logs in will post a link.
Thanks I would like to see the thread and any pictures u might have. I think we are in the flight path too because we see them flying over but they didn't stop this year until yesterday. My pond is usually pea soup green and I started using a product and it's a tad less green and must have been enough for the Heron to see my koi and stop for breakfast and lunch fortunately I've not seen that I'm missing any koi.

Ask a Question