Hey errbody

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I'm 55 years old and have been doing reef aquariums for over 30 years so I'm not new to aquatics, but I haven't done freshwater and especially a pond in quite some time so lots of reading to do since changes happen constantly.
I live in Memphis TN.
We have a small yard that is used by two rescue dogs and before too long there will be a third rescue. So I'm only setting up a 165 gallon preformed pond. I ordered the
MacCourt

Grand Cayman 165 Gal. Preformed Pond Liner and this pump.​

I know the pump is overkill but I'm going to use the fountain and the side output going to a bog filter.
I am thinking about painting the inside white using Krylon Fusion and will use color changing solar lights either inside the pond or outside around the edge pointing down to the pond. I will have lots of plants in the pond on the ledges as well as in the bog. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220328-162834.png
    Screenshot_20220328-162834.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 8

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you talking about painting the inside of the pond? The surface will get covered with algae so it will end up green.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you talking about painting the inside of the pond? The surface will get covered with algae so it will end up green.
Yes that's what I've been thinking about. I know it would get covered with algae and I'm thinking white may not be very attractive during the day either. My other choice is blue or aqua. I was hoping the bog filter would keep algae out of the inside walls and floor of the pond. I want to lighten the inside of the pond during the day and use lights at night. I would use white lights if I do blue or aqua and lights would be on a timer so the pond would get some darkness. Just playing with ideas. I think I'm going to use a large hard plastic Rubbermaid tub that's about 40 gallons for the bog on a 165 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
oh and I'm converting a 20 long and 20 tall tanks in my fish room to freshwater and may QT all fish for a month and do treatment if needed before they go in the pond. I still have to research if it's good to QT fish before adding to the pond. I just started looking at test kits today and researching that too. I do weekly tests on my reef tanks and make my own fish food and additives. I'll prob make my own fish food for the pond too if it's worth it. I make my own RODI water for my reefs and may try to make enough RODI for the pond.

Last edited:

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Let me give you a nugget of advice: don’t waste your time on the rodi for the pond. It really won’t make a difference and you will have to add nutrients back in after you filter the water.

Even though the saltwater people hate it, API pond or freshwater master is good enough for what we do. That is what I use in my pond.

Wish you luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let me give you a nugget of advice: don’t waste your time on the rodi for the pond. It really won’t make a difference and you will have to add nutrients back in after you filter the water.

Even though the saltwater people hate it, API pond or freshwater master is good enough for what we do. That is what I use in my pond.

Wish you luck!
I understand about the RODI and I figured API master pond kit would be fine for testing too. Thanks for confirming.

Ask a Question