Hi and hope you can offer some advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you pump water to the pvc pipe at the bottom of a foot or more of gravel the pipe has holes/ slits in the bottom of the pipe where the water is difused through out the gravel / the new bog it rises up to where the roots of the plants are and they and the rock do all the work for you

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
So is what you describe the same thing people refer to as a bog filter?
The 2inch grip of pipes under the peagravel they have small holes all the way a long correct?
Then the plants grow in the gravel not soil?
Sorry for sounding stupid but this is not my forte I am Learning as we go here.
If I have a foundation already that needs some adjustment I have heart and a light at the end of the tunnel.
I was also thinking of pulling out the existing filter from wall and doing similar as well. If I follow this way then do I still use or need the existing filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So is what you describe the same thing people refer to as a bog filter? YES
The 2inch grip of pipes under the peagravel they have small holes all the way a long correct? YES BUT MORE SO JUST FACING DOWN SO GRAVEL DOESN'T CLOG THE PIPE
Then the plants grow in the gravel not soil? YOUR CATCHING ON
Sorry for sounding stupid but this is not my forte I am Learning as we go here. NOT AT ALL
If I have a foundation already that needs some adjustment I have heart and a light at the end of the tunnel. BUILD ONE WALL TO HOLD IN ALL THE GRAVEL . ONE SIDE OF THE POND SHOULD BE ENOUGH BOG TO DO THE JOB
I was also thinking of pulling out the existing filter from wall and doing similar as well. If I follow this way then do I still use or need the existing filter. KEEP IT UNTILL THE WATER IS SO CLEAR YOU CAN SEE THE BOTTOM AND PICK OUT A COIN

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Thank you so much you have helped my a lot this morning. If I start with my wall from the lowest step which is lower (deeper) than 1foot can we put a coarse sand first then pea gravel and then plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No you don't want to do that the more gravel the more bacteria and microbes that will be eating up your organics and green algae waters.
Myself I'd vary the height of the wall making for areas where lillies can grow and if your in Molalla you can probably put in those giant Lilly pads shading the pond reducing the organics in the plant absorption and shading the waters. Plus it will add character and making it look more natural. Expecialy over a concrete shelf with some rock thrown on it.
Best way to control a plant like lillies is to have the water drop off so it gets to deep for them which you'd have.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah! This is a brilliant plan! And really quite simple to execute - you have the foundation, you just need a bit of modification and you're there!

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
No you don't want to do that the more gravel the more bacteria and microbes that will be eating up your organics and green algae waters.
Myself I'd carry the height of the wall making for areas where lillies can grow and if your in Molalla you can probably put in those giant Lilly pads shading the pond reducing the organics in the plant absorption and shading the waters. Plus it will add character and making it look more natural. Expecialy over a concrete shelf with some rock thrown on it.
Best way to control a plant like lillies is to have the water drop off so it gets to deep for them which you'd have.
OK thanks I have a plan, we are currently locked down because of corvid 19 and what's more I live in a place called Fraser's Hill which is high on the main range (the spinal chord of mountains running down Malaysia) my house is out of the town so we are very remote our altitude is about 1300 metres above sea level. Getting stuff delivered is always a challenge but right now I need to be Harry Potter because no one will come here until the lockdown is lifted. The plant side of things I need to learn more because I am totally lost there. The wall and piping I can do. As soon as I get a start I will post pics of the progress. But I may have to ask more about the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's a bit more to it then I have mentioned like how many pipes for the size of the shelf. Cutting the pipes instead of drilling holes. Possible clean out pipes at the end of the pipes. How much flow to send down the pipe for the size and length of the pipe . The size of the rock. Its a pretty simple process but to do it right requires a little more planning and discussion. Your pond is so big you need every ounce of bio you can get.

What does the air pump do now ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know if this was mentioned...the plants are grown directly in the gravel. No pots, no soil.

Also, you mention sand. You don't want sand in your bog, only pea gravel or smooth river stone. Sand will clog up and limit the spread of the water.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
There's a bit more to it then I have mentioned like how many pipes for the size of the shelf. Cutting the pipes instead of drilling holes. Possible clean out pipes at the end of the pipes. How much flow to send down the pipe for the size and length of the pipe . The size of the rock. Its a pretty simple process but to do it right requires a little more planning and discussion. Your pond is so big you need every ounce of bio you can get.

Thanks yes I appreciate the details you have mentioned, once we get to a position of being able to buy the pipes and fittings I was going to ask before I buy.
But I will ask now,
How to calculate what size of pipe and how many per shelf?
I intended to cut slots in the pipes on the under side as you suggested earlier but at what distance apart?
And most importantly what would be the output from a pump that has to supply the water flow? My current pumps each put out 64m3 per hour that is around 16907 gallons per hour each. The model is the Tsunami MBA 1500s submersible pump I have 2 running.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I don't know if this was mentioned...the plants are grown directly in the gravel. No pots, no soil.

Also, you mention sand. You don't want sand in your bog, only pea gravel or smooth river stone. Sand will clog up and limit the spread of the water.
Hi and thanks for your input yes this was mentioned, I now have to find a supplier here for the large amounts of pea sized pebbles. Haha they sell in aquarium shops in 1kg bags, hmm will be a never ending exercise unless I find a supplier then to work out how much hahah the mind boggles.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I

Am not sure what you mean about the air pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what is the air pump doing ? is it just at the bottom and rising or are there air lift tubes

You have some designing to do. each of the shelves how deep are they and how wide In inches please? or feet. and how long,
the over all size of the pond.
depth?
external pumps in a swim pond ???
Need as much info as you can give us
where is the skimmer negative edge intake bay

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
OK the air is 2 air lift tubes one at each end, lots of fine fine bubbles.
OK pond is 104 feet long
The steps are 2, depth dimensions are from water level.
First step is 6inches deep and 24inch wide,
Second step depth from water level is18 inches deep and 12 inches wide.
Water pumps are submersible sewage pumps pumping 64m3 per hour each. The model is Tsunami MBA 1500s. One pump supplies two outlets one to the water fall and one into the pond under the waterfall.
The second pump pumps directly into the pond.
Pond depth is 6feet,
There is No skimmer.

Ask a Question