Hi everyone, new to this forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish I had joined this forum for a better reason but unfortunately I joined it because an aquarium place I went to sold me on getting some of this anti-algae stuff for my full wine barrel fish pond, assuring me it was totally safe for my fish…And it killed every single one of them within 24 hours. My fish were big and actually friendly and I’m totally heartbroken. Based on some of the other posts I have seen I should have let nature take its course, I did have some water hyacinth growing on the surface but they froze and I pulled them out and threw them away, I think that’s where the problem started because the algae got out of control as soon as there was nothing covering the barrel. Anyways, I’m just sad, but when I get my barrel back up and running with healthy bacteria and plants I’ll be looking for your experiences.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish I had joined this forum for a better reason but unfortunately I joined it because an aquarium place I went to sold me on getting some of this anti-algae stuff for my full wine barrel fish pond, assuring me it was totally safe for my fish…And it killed every single one of them within 24 hours. My fish were big and actually friendly and I’m totally heartbroken. Based on some of the other posts I have seen I should have let nature take its course, I did have some water hyacinth growing on the surface but they froze and I pulled them out and threw them away, I think that’s where the problem started because the algae got out of control as soon as there was nothing covering the barrel. Anyways, I’m just sad, but when I get my barrel back up and running with healthy bacteria and plants I’ll be looking for your experiences.
welcome and well met! As noted in your other thread, sorry for your loss. Algae is actually just a symptom of the real problem, and chems don't usually make it better the way people hope. The algae in your wine barrel was actually trying to help your fish, not harm them, by absorbing the extra nutrients in the water. It's THAT which would eventually kill your fish if not brought under control!

Reaction score
Country
United States
welcome and well met! As noted in your other thread, sorry for your loss. Algae is actually just a symptom of the real problem, and chems don't usually make it better the way people hope. The algae in your wine barrel was actually trying to help your fish, not harm them, by absorbing the extra nutrients in the water. It's THAT which would eventually kill your fish if not brought under control!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome sorry for the hear ache.

what kind of fish were they. anything above a mino in a whiskey barrel is asking a lot of the bacteria to keep balanced. iF ONLY A COUPLE SMALL FISH THEN I WOULD THINK YOU COULD CERTAINLY HAVE SUCCESS. DON'T MIND the caps i am not a great typest

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1644350385657.gif
@Cjs1love

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome.
Sorry for your loss. Where in the country are you and can you share a pic of your pond? That will help so the GPF can flood you with helpful tips (and probably some amusing Off Topic conversations).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, sorry for your loss

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
so the GPF can flood you with helpful tips (and probably some amusing Off Topic conversations).

NEVER! We'd never BE so bold! I mean, there wouldn't even be a HINT of a survey asking how much pineapple you like on your pizza, how it actually is BETTER than a bog at clearing up your green water, no Sirreeee, not a mention. Nothing like wondering if moats are filled with mojias or some that try scaling the walls are actually recruited upon moat-dunking; THAT would be blasphemous to the very existence of GPF! WE pride ourselves here at ALWAYS MENTIONING THE ISSUE, don'tcha know, SarahT??????

Fine! Be that way! See if YOU get any friendly help from the dog Moat Patrol next rainy season there in yer widdle panhandle peninsula of a state where it brings in the gators to overwhelm your ponds! Gonna just look the other way, ask Dime; 'You hear anything? Anything like Floridians screaming their widdle hearts out cause koi are washin' everywhere? Do you HEAR anything that sounds like a gator smile? No? Me neither!' and we'll just go back to guarding the Castle while Jack and Shelly look pointedly south, far beyond to the nether reaches of the GPF kingdom, a dull whine in their voices.

I'll say; 'Dime? Pass the mojitos, would you?'

So, no, NEVER off topic...keep repeatin' that...

:);):cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes::):LOL::LOL::LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's a jungle out there...............and sometimes in here also.
All the monkeys are not in the zoo and that's all I'm sayin
1644430552444.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's a jungle out there...............and sometimes in here also.
All the monkeys are not in the zoo and that's all I'm sayin View attachment 147419
annnnd, I s'pose you want to pin that one TOO on us Castle doofs, huh? Tol' ya; we was out celebratin'! How did I know Dime had more than one bottle? Btw, we named that escaped monkey JDoubleU, in yer honor!

Did I already welcome ye, CJ? Let me do it again; a very happy and warmest monkeyheart-felt wecome to YOU!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well Mr Kingy looks like your next job will be cleaning all the monkey messes.
Dime said he's not doing it anymore
1644432893809.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well Mr Kingy looks like your next job will be cleaning all the monkey messes.
Dime said he's not doing it anymore View attachment 147427
ah, I have it fer fact, no one here knows Italian 'ceptin' me. That is, DIME's version! So, pretty sure he said to..wait, makin' sure I got it right...he said 'ter 'er flippin' Highness to take a flyin' leap into da moat!' Yeah, that's what it was. Don't worry, j.w; I'll be sure to correct all yer mistaken translations from MY squire....sheesh! Talk about mis-appropriations...you ain't a dem are ye?

Ask a Question