Hi everyone, new to this forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry to hear about your fish dying.
We get that same story all the time.
So-called "fish safe" algaecide killing all the fish.

Most of us here try to keep our ponds as natural as possible and that means no chemicals.

If you have water quality issues, it's best to determine the root cause rather than mask it temporarily with dangerous chemicals.

Nature protects your fish with algae which consumes the excess nutrients caused by fish waste.

You can prevent algae with lots of plants which will compete for the nutrients.

Adequate filtration is also needed.

Your fish load might also be contributing to algae growth. Too many fish or fish that have outgrown their environment might be overtaxing your filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your fish dying.
We get that same story all the time.
So-called "fish safe" algaecide killing all the fish.

Most of us here try to keep our ponds as natural as possible and that means no chemicals.

If you have water quality issues, it's best to determine the root cause rather than mask it temporarily with dangerous chemicals.

Nature protects your fish with algae which consumes the excess nutrients caused by fish waste.

You can prevent algae with lots of plants which will compete for the nutrients.

Adequate filtration is also needed.

Your fish load might also be contributing to algae growth. Too many fish or fish that have outgrown their environment might be overtaxing your filter.
WOT???? No bog brochure???? Slippin', PJ, slippin....:cool::p

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
ah, I have it fer fact, no one here knows Italian 'ceptin' me. That is, DIME's version! So, pretty sure he said to..wait, makin' sure I got it right...he said 'ter 'er flippin' Highness to take a flyin' leap into da moat!' Yeah, that's what it was. Don't worry, j.w; I'll be sure to correct all yer mistaken translations from MY squire....sheesh! Talk about mis-appropriations...you ain't a dem are ye?
I'll have you know Mr King B.S I think you're actually a speakin w/a southern drawl. Maybe that's just how they speak in Southern Italy. Anyway don't worry about little ole Queenie as she is tight w/the whale and gators. They obey my every command and when they don't get fed their eyes will be glued on little old kingy's thighs!
How dare you accuse the Queen of being blue. She's as red as the nose on old Bozo's face!
Keep yerself in line now me baccho or ye will be wearing your tights over your head
1644453636720.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Humm. 30% surface area of a wine barrel. What would that be? Maybe a wine glass bog?

Let's see if we can build that.

A manifold made of 1/8" tubing covered with 12 ounces (volume, not weight) of gravel. 20 minute project.

Might work!
heh heh; I sorta figured you'd give the 'full bog' treatment, ya know, ANOTHER barrel sittin' right besides it, just chock full of biofilter goodness! I mean, isn't there an LPS for bogs???? If not, surely we need a commission to invent one! :cool::p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I'd like to emphasize the HELPFUL TIPS here and the heartfelt sympathy and support (and some amusing off topics). I also go with the group recommendation on bog filttration to help solve your fish health problem. (I'm on the "no pineapple on pizza" and "no gator in the pond" teams, not that you should care. If your pond froze, you don't need alligator deterrent.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I'd like to emphasize the HELPFUL TIPS here and the heartfelt sympathy and support (and some amusing off topics). I also go with the group recommendation on bog filttration to help solve your fish health problem. (I'm on the "no pineapple on pizza" and "no gator in the pond" teams, not that you should care. If your pond froze, you don't need alligator deterrent.)
1644346091091.jpg

Ask a Question