Hi Everyone,

Reaction score
I am relatively new here, having registered 9/14/2010. This is our second summer for our "Poor Man's Pond." .Last March, '09 DH lost his job due to being laid-off. He is still looking, manufacturing engineer...'nuf said.: At any rate, our 24', above ground pool had a very slow leak where the wall meets the floor. Since we could not replace the liner and we did not want to take down the pool, a friend suggested adding a couple of feeder Goldfish to the 12" of water standing in the pond. I did not want to add chemicals to take care of the mosquito larvae and certainly did not want to breed those bloodsuckers! The 8 Goldfish we added grew and grew and grew. We added a few floating plants but the fish would not eat any food, just what was in that water. We had gray treefrogs emerge from that little 12" which was totally cool. I am sure they also made good meals of the tadpoles that initially we did not even know we had. We let the water raise in the pool and dropped a couple of sandbags on the split (the patch had failed the previous fall, but we were not aware until spring when we opened the pool and say only 12" of water!

DH then saw that someone on Craigslist has GF they wanted to rehome due to closing their pond and cleaning it for next spring. We got 17 GF that were added and now we spent our time counting to 25 :fish: We even stood on our deck with binoculars to watch the fish and count them! We also had dragonflys and damselflys emerge. That was the summer of "to the Google! :fish: We even frequented the actual library to find out information about our "Dumb Luck Pond". The fish continued to grow but these new ones taught our original 8 how to eat GF Food! Late Fall we found out, that unbeknownst to us, we now had Fry! The grand sons received a small tank and 10 "Homegrown Goldfish" for Christmas that year. The rest we had brought in and were in a tank until Spring '10....silly us!

We found online about keeping a hole in the ice that winter for the gasses to escape and finally when Spring '10 arrived ALL SURVIVED :blueflower: Yep, spent time counting to 25 plus we saw Phantom Fish....young, older than fry who had not changed colors yet! LOL So here we are. We had a fantastic summer, although still unemployed :) We have close to 75 Goldfish in the pool and this past Spring, it officially became a pond, as while checking it out one morning, low and behold, we had a female Green Frog sitting on a floating planter I had made! Woo Hoo! She later brought a fella and we saw eggs in the pond/pool but they were quickly eaten by the insatiable GF. They then laid eggs in a kiddy pool that was growing duckweed and holding some plants to be planted and they are now tadpoles! LOL Yep, "Dumb Luck Pond".

Shoestring Ponder
CyndiMO

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
What kind of liner do you have ?

Reaction score
Well, we are using the blue liner we have had on our pool for the past 6 or 8 years, 3 or 4 of which have not been used for swimming (last 3 or 4 yrs). It was a swimming pool up until possibly 4 yrs or so ago. We have had Mother Nature fill the pool/pond up by dropping a couple of sandbags over the split in the liner. We did about a 2' water change this Spring, mucked out the floor and then used a spray from the hose, bypassed the softener, to refill the pond to a depth of 3+'. I know, not necessarily right, but like I said, DH is unemployed for 18 mos and this was our way to keep the mosquito larvae at bay.

Thus the name:

Shoestring Ponder,
CyndiMO :):blueflower:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a journey of a pool to a pond! Love your story, how neat all is working out for you, sounds like nature has balanced it for your. Even babies.

post some pictures...................

Reaction score
Currently, we have a small filter working in one section of the pond/pool. Someone who was giving away Water Lettuce gave us a pump he had gotten from a yard sale. It does not do near the filtration we should have and I am not sure what it will do to our electric bill, but so far, this is all we can do. We did purchase an up rod and a fountain kit once we found some cash and that, hopefully is aerating the water. Last summer '09 we had nothing . We did acquire a lot of Water Lettuce and Water Hyacinth and that did help. This year, including the small pump which we have caged in a basket with lava rock and quilt batting we had way more WH and WL than needed, but it did the trick. Our water, although not crystal clean, you can see the bottom. I would say it is the color of a lake. It is approx. 3-31/2' deep throughout. We just sank some cleaned, soaked in pond water,scrubbed and again soaked in pond water clay drain tiles about 12" long and 4" wide for the fish to hibernate in for the winter, if they so desire. A friend, who took down her pond, gave us some water lily's. Pickeral and another person off FreeCycle gave us some sort of Pond Iris which we also planted, sans soil, only rocks to keep them sunk in nursery pots. We are hoping that next year, if everything survives, to use less water lettuce and water hyacinth for coverage and rely on the water lily's. Our Goldfish :) seem to be doing well. We had lots of fry this past Spring. Will try to post pics. Not sure I will succeed.

Shoestring Ponder
CyndiMO:fish:

Attachments

• New Fountain 9.jpg
    New Fountain 9.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 214
  • New Fountain 18.jpg
    New Fountain 18.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 205
  • New Fountain 7.jpg
    New Fountain 7.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Claussen (F) & Gherkin (M) 2.jpg
    Claussen (F) & Gherkin (M) 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCF0038.JPG
    DSCF0038.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Wish we could do more, but the bills have to be paid. Hopefully, once DH returns to work, we may be able to raize the pool and put in an appropriate pond in its' place, but for now, this will have to do. :)

Shoestring Ponder,
CyndiMO

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad it is working out for you now. Your filtration is the plants, they also help keep out the sun light. It looks great. Down the road you can upgrade, but more important to pay the bills! Love the frog.

Reaction score
Thank You for your words of encouragement! Although certainly an "el-cheapo" way to go, we do love it!! We did put the pump in a covered basket (plastic with holes in lid and around side) and added rinsed lava rock (new) and some quilt batting. We need to clean it every few days, but we sure love the sound of the fountain! Oh, it is also sitting on a black plastic Rubbermaid planter,zip tied to the top! LOL That puts it about 12" from the surface. We did not know how strong the pump was and thought it might be better closer to the top of the water....also did not know how tall of an uprod to use to get the water pumped. This is all new to us and I am certainly leaning so much :bowdown: the Green Frogs were quite the surprise one morning and the subsequent eggs and tadpoles...wow! We do miss the males cronk as I believe he has moved on. Only the female has stayed. They did lay eggs in the kiddy pool and they have turned into tadpoles. We are just not sure what to do with them for the winter. They may have to stay in the kiddy pool as the GF will most certainly eat them all.

Shoestring Ponder
CyndiMO :luxlove::fish:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well even as an el cheapo it is working for you. I have read that the tadpoles will hang in there just fine, over the winter, natural selection as they say, the strong guys make it. Not sure if yours will freeze solid over the winter though.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Again, Thank You for your posts. It has been quite a learning experience for DH and I. It has also been the only good thing that has come of this 18 mo. unemployment experience...and for the new knowledge about Mother Nature and ponding, we are grateful. Someday we hope to do a pond and water feature by the books...but this has been a wonderful experience. Now for that job! :fish: LOL

Shoestring Ponder
CyndiMO :luxlove::bowdown:

Ask a Question