Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
hand_writing.gif

I agree with above add a liner. Check out this site
https://www.btlliners.com/ They make a real tough liner that is used for large water, waste etc containment. I used ppl 36 for my pond and stream, it has so far survived deer walking on it. For my pond in phoenix I used ppl24

When I priced liners it was cheaper then epdm and lighter. It is stiffer.

bosslady

Living La Vida Loca!
Reaction score
On a gravel road,on a ridge, in Northeastern MO
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I have pictures of the lagoon and big pond somewhere on line. I will have to go looking for them. No pics of half pond, named half pond because it sets on our property line. My husband is going to hunt up the pics of the lagoon for me and I will post them. My plans are to put an small dock overlooking it with rock and plants added as the landscaping continues.

Reaction score
Bosslady,

Your lagoon probably had sodium bentonite clay as a sealing liner. When you cleaned out the pond, you probably removed or at least disturbed this sealing layer. Here are some videos which will provide you with really good information on how to repair it.
Make sure that you use SODIUM BENTONITE as opposed to any other variety of bentonite for this purpose. There is a difference.

Here is another link that will offer some information:

http://www.jpself.com/bentonite.htm

Gordy

bosslady

Living La Vida Loca!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
interesting. Thanks for the post and info. I'm really doubting if the previous owner used bentonite, however. He was Amish. Our soil here is very rich in gray clay that lies beneath the topsoil. Go down a foot anywhere on the farm and you are going to hit this dense clay. I have to do some research on our soil here. Given the way ponds are constructed around us though, I bet real money that the rich clay plays a major roll in water retention.

We know that once upon a time there had been a mobile home on our property and that the lagoon had been a septic system of sorts for the occupant. The previous owner had built a house and barn to replace the mobile home and the barn was built about 15 feet from what was now a watering hole for his cows, horses and sheep. It's size is approximately 40 feet across and the levels vary. It is probably four feet deep at its deepest point. The barn run off goes into the pool via an underground pipe that you can see in the center of the pool. When we cleaned out the debris in the pool we uncovered the pipe.

If I drop a liner into the pool, I'm planning to do away with the underground runoff pipe and divert water into it via a secondary gutter that is on the barn.

Here is a picture of the site:

pool.JPG

The water level has dropped approximately 50% since the most recent rain 48 hours ago. The water level has been up to the rim in the past.

Reaction score
Bosslady,

If you are going to place any fish in that lagoon I would certainly not direct runoff water from the barn into the basin if there are farm animals in the barn. I am hoping that you mean to redirect the water from the rain gutters. I am sure that is what you are inferring here, right?

Gordy

bosslady

Living La Vida Loca!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Correct. We have no livestock on the farm. The run off is from the metal barn roof. The barn has been unoccupied by horses for 5 years. There would be no chance of chemical/insecticide/animal waste runoff. You can see the gutter on the corner of the barn.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing you may have to worry about is pollen and dust on the roof and that would be easy to filter out .Also flowers from flowering trees .

Ask a Question