Hi & help

Reaction score
Hi all, i`m from Birmingham, unfortunatly.

I bought a Koi tank, 6 foot, by 4 foot by 2 foot deep. 180 Gallon. I got this from Shirley Aquatics 2 weeks ago. I filled it with water 8 days ago & had a profesional water test done at little heath aquatic centre today. Everything was Ok except my PH was 6.5 but they said this would be OK?

I bought 5 3"- 4" Koi, I put them in the pond in the bag & let the water temperature adjust for 40 minutes. I released them into the pond & they were ok for hours. THEN, after 8 hours one started to lay on its side at the bottom. Its not dead, but doesn`t look good. What have I done wrong?

PS hello everyone

Reaction score
Hard to tell. But going from a high pH to a low pH is hard on fish, it can cause death.

Longer term...
You got some pretty bad advice on the pH, but it's very normal to get bad advice. Google "pond pH buffering" if you'd like more info.

In a nut shell...

6.5 pH is too low for the bacteria needed to convert fish waste, so you would shortly have an ammonia build up and that would kill the fish. Google "pond nitrification cycle" if you'd like more info.

6.5 pH is very low for a pond and indicates you also have low KH. Google "pond water testing" for more info on the different tests. KH keeps pH stable. Low KH means the pH is not "buffered" meaning stable. This means pH can go up and down very fast. That can kill fish. When your water was tested it told you what the pH was at that moment. A few hours later your pond's pH could be very different.

Some good videos at Koi Beginner which provides some very good and pretty easy to understand info.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomewolves3.gif
coyote

Reaction score
Hard to tell. But going from a high pH to a low pH is hard on fish, it can cause death.

Longer term...
You got some pretty bad advice on the pH, but it's very normal to get bad advice. Google "pond pH buffering" if you'd like more info.

In a nut shell...

6.5 pH is too low for the bacteria needed to convert fish waste, so you would shortly have an ammonia build up and that would kill the fish. Google "pond nitrification cycle" if you'd like more info.

6.5 pH is very low for a pond and indicates you also have low KH. Google "pond water testing" for more info on the different tests. KH keeps pH stable. Low KH means the pH is not "buffered" meaning stable. This means pH can go up and down very fast. That can kill fish. When your water was tested it told you what the pH was at that moment. A few hours later your pond's pH could be very different.

Some good videos at Koi Beginner which provides some very good and pretty easy to understand info.

Hi ya, PS I`m from the UK. I didnt know this was a world wide site?

Thanks for the advice. I will look into what you say.

The other 4 Koi just spend most of their time hiding?

Ask a Question