Hi I am new here...

Reaction score
If u already new all this about ur water why on earth would u attempt a major water change without having dechlor??

Reaction score
I did have dechlor and used what was left in a bottle I had but didn't measure it out. I thought it would be enough, but apparently it wasn't.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh well guess live and learn .I use microblift in the fall and spring .It helps with cleanup since it breaks down all the stuff .I use quilt batting in a basket in my filters and crushed oyster shells and activated charcoal also in my filters and zeolite it really does help
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:60302]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:60298]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58810]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
davepratt said:
If u already new all this about ur water why on earth would u attempt a major water change without having dechlor??
Dave I think Charlie is trying to figure out what he did wrong~ that is a great teacher to us, when we make a mistake. We all learn from mistakes-- at least unfortunately I do!

Reaction score
Yes, it is lessons learned. Know how many gallons your pond is and how many gallons you put in, measure chemicals...don't guess and check on the fish until you're satisfied that they are doing good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond is about 7 thousand gallons take a gallon or 2 .By pond calculator I used .Well water and filter it and use my old mechanical well filter to fill pond with a charcoal filter in it .I put plants in my filters and only feed 2 or 3 times a week .2 of my koi are over 2 feet long and the I have fancy tails and butterfly and regular gold fish .I have given lots of babies away over the last 10 years .I would not have gotten koi if someone had told me how big they get and how fussy they are .I have not lost any fish yet so I must be doing something right ,not sure what it is .I use lava rock in my filters .I only test my water after heavy rain or if I feel something is wrong other wise pond takes care of itself .I guess by now it is established ..This year lots of rain so no water changes..Right now I have about 20 fish .Oh and I have never used a UV

Reaction score
Charlie 2211 said:
@Windy but pleasant, I do major clean outs in the fall and then in the spring. That way the leaves and gunk gets cleaned out and they are ready for the winter and I don't need to do to much for them in the winter time except let them rest. It's the way I have done it every year. Some of my goldfish were 8-10" long.
I thought that was probably it :) I do the same before the leave start to really fall. I really don't get gunk on the bottom of mine, just leaves and a few twigs here and there. I just fish those out and put a net up till spring. The one and only fancytail I had left, I put in the big pond with the others. I was afraid the bigger fish might be too much for him, but he's down there in the middle of them all :)) Well the gang IS a bit slower these days tho lol.

Ask a Question