High pH level!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m a 68 year old guy with a few ponds,it started when my son came home with some goldfish from a school carnival,we put in a small pond then they kept getting bigger,I’ve had both koi and goldfish.the two fish my son brought home at age 10 died a few months ago when he had his 30 birthday. That’s 20 years.now I have heard all about this and that with ph and all that testing stuff .I have never tested my water.I have a prefilter that sends through the ultra violet to a 50 gallon barrel filled with media and that leads to a gravity feed waterfall ,which gives plenty of air,I live in the extreme heat of inland s cali.the only time I lose a fish is by a heron or a very smart red tail hawk.The one thing I do is bi weekly water changes about 40 percent,when doing those I never ad dechlor or that other stuff ,as I find the remaining water offsets anything that might be in my new water. I also do salt treatments 4 times a year adding 1 pound of salt per each 100 gallons three days in a row.,some times I throw in some water hyacinth but the stuff over takes everything.so my advise for the guy asking the questions about ponds,go to the pet store get some cheap feeder goldfish float the bag for about a half hour then turn em lose and see what happens I bet they will be fine, you can give a small salt treatment in a bucket before letting them out that wouldn’t hurt good luck with your new hobby. Keith

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’m a 68 year old guy with a few ponds,it started when my son came home with some goldfish from a school carnival,we put in a small pond then they kept getting bigger,I’ve had both koi and goldfish.the two fish my son brought home at age 10 died a few months ago when he had his 30 birthday. That’s 20 years.now I have heard all about this and that with ph and all that testing stuff .I have never tested my water.I have a prefilter that sends through the ultra violet to a 50 gallon barrel filled with media and that leads to a gravity feed waterfall ,which gives plenty of air,I live in the extreme heat of inland s cali.the only time I lose a fish is by a heron or a very smart red tail hawk.The one thing I do is bi weekly water changes about 40 percent,when doing those I never ad dechlor or that other stuff ,as I find the remaining water offsets anything that might be in my new water. I also do salt treatments 4 times a year adding 1 pound of salt per each 100 gallons three days in a row.,some times I throw in some water hyacinth but the stuff over takes everything.so my advise for the guy asking the questions about ponds,go to the pet store get some cheap feeder goldfish float the bag for about a half hour then turn em lose and see what happens I bet they will be fine, you can give a small salt treatment in a bucket before letting them out that wouldn’t hurt good luck with your new hobby. Keith
I'll disagree with more than a few of your methods, though; water changes, salt, and UV are all unnecessary for successful pounding. Only DKP peeps go your route, and even they don't need all that stuff, though they'll deny it. I'm keeping 35 koi and 100+ gf doing non of those things. YMMV.

Ask a Question