Hocking Hills Pond Build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nice looking fish and glad they like their new home :)
Me too, a close look at each fish found them to be extremely health without any areas of concern. I'll be interested to see if the fish spawn successfully or if all the eggs get eaten. I am horrible at identifying the names of fishes so I think I'll post picks in the koi & fish talk and see if anyone can help me get them right.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you can somehow provide lots of places for the fry to hide then I would think some would survive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My wife and I worked on placing rocks and the waterfall. I'm down to a minor drip at the pump and a small leak at the waterfalls. The pond is starting to clear the silt.
20140525_083809.jpg

still a long ways to go.

WE raised the edge on the left 3 inches and I added water.

THe fish are skittish so when ever I go up to the pond they head to the deep end. If you stay back from the edge they are whipping around the whole thing. Not a whole lot done today beyond more work to get the skimmer to work again. It seems to have problems every 24 hours. I think it needs a stronger pump or less silt or both.

we went up to columbus to the Franklin Park Conservatory. Here is some of the koi they have.
20140525_132621.jpg

20140525_132626.jpg

I'm supposed to get a load of rock tomorrow. But we'll see how that goes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good you raised the edges around the pond. Looks great and bet you are excited about your new rock coming. I sure would be :)
Pretty place at the conservatory. Whenever I go anywhere like that my hubby waits patiently for me to get done staring forever at each body of water.............then he says "you sure you are done now"? :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is the waterfall after today's activities sorry about the picture quality:

20140526_210139.jpg

Here is the pond overall:

20140526_210217.jpg

A closer look at some of the rock work. The second and third rocks from the right have exposed fossils :

20140526_210158.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love finding rocks with fossils. Looking good there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love finding rocks with fossils. Looking good there.
All the fossil rocks have come from a decaying ledge that is 1/2 a block from my house. Each day I eyeball the ledge/cliff to see what has come down, and then stop and pick up 5-15 rocks. We're supposed to get rain the next day or so. That will bring down some more larger pieces I hop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We had a big thunderstorm roll through here this afternoon. Apparently it (or the rain in it) has done something to the electrics that the pond is connected to as the GFI in the breaker box keeps tripping. So the pump and filter are off until tomorrow at 10:30 when the electrician gets here. Hopefully, all it takes is a new breaker. But we'll see.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love those nice flat rocks and wow fossils too. Never find those around here. Only roundy type rocks here but I find them free so I'm not complaining. And your pond looks great and nice job on the falls :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Electrics are fixed, an extension cord got waterlogged and was tripping the braker. Quick fix

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I guess that I need to set up a new showcase thread once things are a little closer to finish (its 75-80% complete). It still needs a bunch of landscaping before its finished and at least 3 or 4 more loads of stones. I will feel much better once there is a platform built as planned. Its the last big item beyond overall landscaping and the landscaping will take all summer I think.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My in-law gave us a bunch of plants and rocks from their house over the weekend. I will have at least 2 more trips over getting plants to bring over. But so far we have collected/planted - Siberian iris, Asian lilies, variegated hostas, Russian Sage (not planted by the pond), moss, various ground cover, and a couple other lilies, and perennials I can't remember the name of at this time. I also purchased and planted root stock for Tennessee Ostrich Ferns as well.

Here are the plants we didn't get in the ground late last night when we got home:

20140602_070740.jpg

20140602_070722.jpg

New rock to be used:

20140602_070744.jpg

Here are the plants that were planted last night. They are planted in the place that the pond overflows when the rain brings the pond too high. This is the dampest place so far:

20140602_070531.jpg

To the left of these plants are where 6 sets of fern root stock went into the ground:
20140602_070506.jpg

Still lots more to go, as we've decided to collect and use crushed shale as our walkways instead of the pebbles seen here. I'm going to pull most of the large block on the left by the base of the falls and install a small bog to be home to some lilies and iris. This will decrease the amount of liner showing on that side. Finally, I need to get a platform built over the next 3-5 weeks. But here is where we are at as of this morning:

20140602_072316.jpg

Ask a Question