Hocking Hills Pond Build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Algae has taken over all the sides and grown on the waterfalls. I'm assuming my plants aren't going as well due the algae growth. The pond has been up and running a month so I assume part of this is normal cycling.

Today's pond projects are to unclog the skimmer again, plant 5 grasses and hostas, clean the filter for the first time, and clean up the waterfall some while the water is off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Today was very productive. I planted all of the hostas around the waterfall area
20140615_165725.jpg

I also planted the grasses

20140615_170047.jpg

And moved into place the largest rock I have. I'm going to need more rocks for the walkways.

20140615_170130.jpg

I also got the skimmer working better (again), did the first full filter cleaning, and generally got the area looking better. I still need to build a platform on one side, figure out the pathways, and pick more rocks to finish the top end waterfall area. But its starting to be what I envisioned when I started the project.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those Hosta's will fill in in no time. It's so nice to be able to go out and sit near a pretty pond, listen to the sounds of water,birds,frogs and watch the fish play :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It was there when we moved in, There used to be an above ground pool where the pond is located. That said, Green electric is pretty good. They do a lot of good work for the agency that I run.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been working 70+ hours a week and had guests so no significant updates on the construction. We had a visitor 2 days ago. A hawk was sitting on a rock a the end of the pond. The fish stayed down in the deep section for most of the morning after that, and they are now only going straight up to the surface for food instead of coming to the surface on a slow climbing angle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope they stay safe and Mr Hawk loses interest and finds another place for lunch!

Ask a Question