Hoping someone can jog my memory on pump priming

Reaction score
far be it for me to be adding fuel to your fire, but this is why I like submersible pumps; no checkvalve and no priming. Okay, I feel your pain, sorry about that...
Agree that submersible is easier in that respect. I just want to use my existing bottom drain in the concrete pond that I have... if i could figure out how to use a submersible with that then i might be doing that... but only thing i can think of right now is a retro fit drain but then i have to pipe that in/out... i do like the idea of a low voltage DC submersible pump though.
I was toying with the idea of just plumbing in a DC pump in place of the Lifegard i have right now, but not sure if it would still have the same issue of starting the flow?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me prefer externals, have always had externals, will always have externals . Well except on my hot tub pond it is submersible, 250 gph

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
one other thing. When I put the hose in to fill it up it never stops taking in water. I know I have a check valve too
Check valves if not installed properly will never plug the pipe. Apparently something Is not seated properly you might want to cut in a ball or gate valve to block the pipe fully so you can fill it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Check valves if not installed properly will never plug the pipe. Apparently something Is not seated properly you might want to cut in a ball or gate valve to block the pipe fully so you can fill it

When you say not installed properly what do you mean? I'm only asking because is is starting to look like I may need to do this myself and I had someone else install it originally.

And would it work sporadically if it was installed improperly because it was working fine for years. I want to say about 2 years ago I ran into this same problem but never found the cause.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I tried a few more times but I keep getting this white fluid in the bin after I prime it. I thought it was from the pump after I got it back but it keeps showing up and I've primed it at least 15 times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I have one external pump. It's about 18 inches below full pool. Priming is not an issue. ;) It's only intake is a skimmer, bottom of which is about 5 inches below full pool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Add that spicket to the line like I mentioned before and you can also put in a ball valve to keep the water in the line throw the switch and then open the ball valve all the while you sticker is adding water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
So I just got back my pump from the shop and they said they fixed it so yay! The pump is an above ground pump connected to the bottom drain in the pond and connected to an Aqua 4000 bead filter. The line has been off since Sunday. When I fill the basket to prime it, the pump will suck out the water in the basket but thats it. I've filled it up now 6 times hoping it would stay primed but it doesn't.

What am I missing? It was running fine before sunday it was just the pump was leaking water.

Now I've had this problem before with the pump not keeping primed but I can't remember how to fix it.

ANGEpT.jpg
connected to bottom drain. and assuming the line is full all the way to the intake screen, I would think there is some sort of blockage in the intake, not allowing enough water to flow. But then again, losing prime indicates air getting into the system. Assuming the pond is full, you may have a broken line between the pump, and water level. Thus, allowing the pump to suck air, instead of water, and losing prime.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Would a bad check valve keep the pump from achieving pressure? I've gone over the rest of the system and I believe the system simply isn't sealing correctly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but even though its 76 here I know that water is going to be damn cold

Now @texmaster ... I've been in my pond in October when it was 35 degrees and the pond was close to that. YOU CAN DO IT! After the first ten minutes or so, the pain goes away. In other words, you're so numb you can't feel a thing! I remember thinking "this water is actually starting to feel warm..." and realized - that's probably hypothermia setting in. Best get out of the water now!

Pond tinkering is way more fun in the summer, that's for sure! Good luck with your fix... I've got no advice. Just here to give you some grief!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Now @texmaster ... I've been in my pond in October when it was 35 degrees and the pond was close to that. YOU CAN DO IT! After the first ten minutes or so, the pain goes away. In other words, you're so numb you can't feel a thing! I remember thinking "this water is actually starting to feel warm..." and realized - that's probably hypothermia setting in. Best get out of the water now!

Pond tinkering is way more fun in the summer, that's for sure! Good luck with your fix... I've got no advice. Just here to give you some grief!

You can't shame me! I'm married! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

easy for HER to say she never had a part of her body shoot up and inside where it's not suppose to be . we call it the turtle ...

Ask a Question