Hoping someone can jog my memory on pump priming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A couple major disadvantages to submersible.
They use more energy for the same job.
You have highvolt in your water. Ohhhhh to many pull on the electrical cord weakening this waterproof joint.
Too easy to have something get stuck in the propeller
Adds heat to the pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like my externals, they have preformed well for me over 30 some years now.
The few small submersibles I have (one for the hot tub pond, one for the deck pond) they have had issues with prefilters etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A couple major disadvantages to submersible.
They use more energy for the same job.
You have highvolt in your water. Ohhhhh to many pull on the electrical cord weakening this waterproof joint.
Too easy to have something get stuck in the propeller
Adds heat to the pond
heh

--They use more energy for the same job. I save energy not having to take it inside in the winter, prime it or dig up check valves!
--You have highvolt in your water. Ohhhhh to many pull on the electrical cord weakening this waterproof joint. Keeps the fish alert. Not to mention, the gfci will trip with any pump surge malfunction. I have a nylon strap tied to mine...
--Too easy to have something get stuck in the propeller. more chance of spiders building webs in external pumps + can add a small mesh screen to keep blockage from happening!
--Adds heat to the pond. Great for winter! And I bet there's more detrimental heat from an external pump whereas the water cools mine!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everybody has their own preferences. I just release the pipes feeding mine in the fall and it sits down by the pond for the winter, rehook in the spring, fill the leaf basket with water, turn it on, done. About 15 minutes of time.
The spiders don't like the pump, never had a spider or any bug issue with it.
Never have a heat issue with the pump, it has now been running for around 20plus years. In AZ 24/7 year round, here off during the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Everybody has their own preferences. I just release the pipes feeding mine in the fall and it sits down by the pond for the winter, rehook in the spring, fill the leaf basket with water, turn it on, done. About 15 minutes of time.
The spiders don't like the pump, never had a spider or any bug issue with it.
Never have a heat issue with the pump, it has now been running for around 20plus years. In AZ 24/7 year round, here off during the winter.
addy, I didn't forget to add my tongue-in-cheek emoji, did I?????

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy, I didn't forget to add my tongue-in-cheek emoji, did I?????
laughing yep! But some do like submersibles, some like externals. I love externals.

Many many years ago I had my first pond, tiny, like 300 ish gallons, submersible pump. Went to do something and got shocked when I put my hand in the water. That was my last submersible. I don't recall exactly one hand in the water one hand hanging onto something out of the water. 30ish years ago.

I do have the two small submersibles one in the hot tub, one in the deck pond. I unplug when working on the ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
laughing yep! But some do like submersibles, some like externals. I love externals.

Many many years ago I had my first pond, tiny, like 300 ish gallons, submersible pump. Went to do something and got shocked when I put my hand in the water. That was my last submersible. I don't recall exactly one hand in the water one hand hanging onto something out of the water. 30ish years ago.

I do have the two small submersibles one in the hot tub, one
'shocked while putting my hand in'; yep, been there done that. Aquarium heater apparently cracked and I didn't notice visually. Luckily I only have the tropical water lily and some hyacinth but DaYUM that was unpleasant!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ok well I found the problem and its really really stupid. The gasket on the basket facing the pump was gone. I couldn't see it because of where the pump sits was blocking it from my view. You have to feel in between the connections. It must have been stuck to the pump when I sent it in and they removed it.

oiy.

Thank you all for your input.

All I have to offer is our halloween display from last year

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh how i use to lovelovelove haloween I got my hands on a bungee and i set it up in a huge maple i had next to my flat roof garage . I'd jump of the roof in black with8 arms and come down in front of The kids. Tricks and treats at my house. i learned quick not to jump down to anyone under 10 it worked to well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh how i use to lovelovelove haloween I got my hands on a bungee and i set it up in a huge maple i had next to my flat roof garage . I'd jump of the roof in black with8 arms and come down in front of The kids. Tricks and treats at my house. i learned quick not to jump down to anyone under 10 it worked to well.

We used to do more jump out scary stuff but like you I scared a 6 year old little girl who cried. That was it. I was out. Now its just fun stuff the kids can enjoy. My kids now that they are older actually appreciate it and I've had a few parents come up and thank us for not doing real scary stuff for small kids. Not to badmouth the folks that go all out on the scary stuff, do your thing. We just want to entertain kids and watch parents do some bad dancing to the singing pumpkins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
some day, you're going to have to write your memoirs...too late I suppose to cast you as a tv character...

Reaction score
If it won't keep the prime then it's taking in air. The cover is what I would suspect. Try sealing it with something like gasoline, opps vasoline. If it has a gasket remove it and scrub it down. The other issue could be when you hooked it back up you didn't get the suction line airtight. If it screws on remove it and put some Teflon tape on the threads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it won't keep the prime then it's taking in air. The cover is what I would suspect. Try sealing it with something like gasoline. If it has a gasket remove it and scrub it down. The other issue could be when you hooked it back up you didn't get the suction line airtight. If it screws on remove it and put some Teflon tape on the threads.
I think you meant 'vasoline'. I hope.

Ask a Question