How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So how is that different than what the rest of us are doing? Not being snarky - just wondering what the difference is between self-quarantine and shelter in place.
The way I understand it is that those (most of us) under shelter in place can only leave the house for necessities, and those in actual quarantine cannot leave the house at all ....but I could be wrong

Ad

Advertisements

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now I just found out a family member's employer has somehow gotten approved as an "essential" business, even though they are absolutely NOT essential. Even worse, I'm told they aren't taking the social distancing thing seriously at all, and not even allowing employees to take vacation. It's a pretty well known company, too. :mad:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pot shops here and phone stores are considered essential here o_O
But they closed the gun stores :rolleyes:
So they want us stoned and phone zoned w/no form of defenses :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Business as normal for me regarding work as the company I work for repair medical devices. Keeping a check on my parents making sure they have everything they need. Just hoping some form of normality is in the not too distant future.
My wishes go out to everyone on here stay safe and stay healthy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a friend from high school who is a doctor in public health, specializing in outbreaks. I read a paper she recently published and it is grim. The fear isn't so much that "some people" will die from this -- but that many, many, many will die as the result of circumstances created from the outbreak. Not because the virus is incredibly deadly to many (it isn't) - but because it is incredibly contagious and our health care system isn't set up to take care of that many very sick people all at once. It's a domino effect when our fire fighters, police, doctors, etc. become too sick to do their work. A person going in for a heart attack might die because a hospital ER is overwhelmed with CV patients. Much of the fear isn't just over the virus itself. Scary times! On a much lighter note -- we have been discussing Trump Bucks and what we might do with them. On the one hand, it would be smart to put it aside in case we need it to pay bills. On the OTHER MORE FUN HAND -- I could buy a lot of rocks with a thousand dollars! And I could finish that giant Grand Canyon out back that is supposed to be a pond. AND that money is supposed to go back into the community to keep business going. What better way to support a local business than to BUY SOME ROCKS!? Soooooo. Be smart and save? Or help out a local business by buying my rocks? Hmmmmmm. What to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
As a general report from here, I am seeing so much goodness coming out all around. Our school system is sending school buses into lower income neighborhoods to serve as wi fi hot spots so kids can keep up with their schoolwork online. Many people have generously donated money and/or laptops so the same kids have what they need. School buses also delivering thousands of meals each week, to families that depend on the school system to provide meals to their children. We have hilarious teachers sending videos of themselves in their yards, leading the pep rally (all by themselves) that was on the calendar prior to the school closures. We go on walks each evening and see so many families eating dinner together on their porches. So many parents running around in their backyards, playing with their little ones. You can hear the birds all over the neighborhood, since the traffic is lighter. This outbreak is very bad -- but there are some good things coming from it. My youngest is graduating this year. There is a lot up in the air for them. I doubt the ceremony will happen. I doubt they will go back to school at all this semester. The International Baccalaureate (IB, which is fairly interchangeable with AP) has cancelled all the big end of year exams, for which seniors can earn college credit. That is going to be interesting, since going into college with some credits helps both financially AND helps in terms of lightening the workload. BUT -- that's all OK. As long as we stay healthy and have each other, the school stuff doesn't matter. I read a powerful little essay about how seniors in the Vietnam era got to take their "senior trip" into a war. So really, this detour and change of plans is disappointing, but they will be OK.

Ad

Advertisements

Rex

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There are several confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the town that I work. I work as an emergency responder, so unfortunately I can't stay home. We have enough PPE supplies as of right now, but if it gets worse and supplies don't come soon we will run out. I can't imagine what it will be like if that happens. As somebody said above, emergency responders, nurses, etc. will become sick and not be able to work.

When I come home from work, I do the best I can to decon. I leave my uniforms at work and change into street clothes. The clothes go right into the washer. I disinfect my hands, then all of the things in my pockets, then disinfect my hands again, and head right to the shower.

All my kids are on extended sprint break this week. They start distance learning next week.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you for your service @Rex What would we do w/o you people helping us in our times of crisis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'd like to get out and start my bog build, but between the weather and needing various supplies, I think I'll wait.

GBBUDD...I've been saying the same thing about people wearing masks. They don't realize that their exposed eyes are susceptible. Plus those masks may not make a good seal onto your face.

When I worked at ground zero after 911, our union had us test fitted to wear respirators. First we had a lung capacity test, then a fit test. They wanted to make sure you lungs could handle the restriction. If you had a beard, you had to shave it.

I live in northeastern PA and there are a lot of people who live here and commute to work into NYC. Also, a lot of summer homes are owned by NYC residents. There's a bus company that commutes thousands between here and NYC and they are still running buses! Can you imagine being on a bus during this crisis with 50 people for 2 hours each way? I understand if you are a first responder, nurse, etc., that you need to work. But for goodness sake, shouldn't those people just stay in NYC until this is under control? They're risking the spreading of this every day by returning to PA.

We're just staying home. We normally have plenty of supplies stocked up. All non-essential businesses have to be closed.

I'm retired and thank goodness my 401k is all in safe funds. This past month I made out fine, actually slightly better than normal gains. We'll see what results this coming month. I'm hoping it will be OK.

Stay healthy and try to keep busy at home. Enjoy family and eventually we'll be back to some sort of normalcy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I worked at ground zero after 911, our union had us test fitted to wear respirators. First we had a lung capacity test, then a fit test. They wanted to make sure you lungs could handle the restriction. If you had a beard, you had to shave it.
Thank you four helping out. I was asked as well but Fortunately "FOR ME" the woman I was talking to on the hot line after asking for credentials and saying your what we need! she asked what I thought it was going to be like I told her it was a war zone complete hell on earth she asked why I told her in today's world we remove glass asbestos and maybe lead from buildings we tear down you have 2- 100 story buI'lllding full of all the above and the glass the steal is going to rip apart rescue efforts and when you move a chunk of concrete and flip it over have fing a hand with a wedding ring on it and or much worse what did she think to call it. she said I was a pessimist and not what She thought they needed. I am disappointed didn't help yet I am not at all. when I heard the EPA say there was no hazard in breathing the dust I said there is our leaders doing there best NOT... as you know too many rescue workers have already died from lung issues. Sorry you had to go through that it was a hot summer to boot that year.. Thanks again for being there.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you imagine being on a bus during this crisis with 50 people for 2 hours each way?
That's that idiot Deblasio for you. He and Como HOWEVER COMO AT LEAST IS SEEMINGLY doing a decent job with the corona or at least is trying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bleach kills corona virus in one minute. peroxide in 2 minutes. There are many common cleaners that kill it outside the body its once inside the host it's a issue

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our numbers here are climbing. Young and old.

Reaction score
@Gemma - thanks for the explanation! I should have been able to figure that out, but since we took the "shelter in place" order pretty literally it was hard to imagine being even MORE quarantined!

Confirmed cases will climb as testing increases - one of the "dangers" of testing, I suppose. it's hard to measure the increases when we didn't have a good handle on how many people were actually infected before testing really ramped up. There are people who are in hospitals with presumed cases who were waiting for testing. The U.S. was reporting presumptive cases as confirmed in the beginning - I haven't checked recently, so I don't know if they've modified that. Same with death rate - how can you calculate a death rate when you can't accurately measure how many cases actually exist? Numbers are good, but definitely not a science when it comes to this kind of stuff. Too many immeasurable factors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Once you get my age, you get the flu shot, and a couple of different pneumonia shots this year, and every year. The shots are specific for the changing types of flu, obviously last years flu. On Medicare shots are free.

It is still about 50/50 you can still get sick even with the vaccine, just hopefully much less sick and less likely to die. The problem is coronavirus is new, no vaccine available, and the people that end up dying from it appear to get much sicker than the normal flu. The greatest at risk appear to have weakened immune systems and elderly who can get very sick from it. The fact is with any disease you need to get exposed and have it enter you body to allow the immune system to fight it off in order to build immunity. A very very small percentage die in the process every year.

All we are doing with quarantine is slowing it down, it won’t stop it. As ridiculous as it sounds, we really want everyone to get it. That is what vaccines do...give you a mild case to allow the immune system build immunity. Most people never realize they have caught a virus because they have strong immune systems.

I amazed when I saw the CDC estimate that up to 59,000 may die in the U.S. from influenzas flu this flu season. No one appears concerned. So far we have less that a 1,000 deaths from coronavirus. We have a long way to go before coronavirus catches up to influenzas. Personal opinion after looking at numbers it won’t me much different or as bad as the influenza. In 1968 100,000 in the U.S. died from the flu, I got it and was in and out of bed for two months, and I don’t remember any mass hysteria. I haven’t had the flu again. We have gone thru this before. The biggest difference between then and now is instant communication on the internet and 24 hour news.

Wash your hands and watch TV like the rest of us.....not to worry. Stay off of the hysterical the sky is falling fake news channels. There is plenty of positive news out there, it just doe to make headlines. Like..........

Leading Harvard doctor says coronavirus is NOT as deadly as feared because only a small number of contained cruise ship passengers have died and only 0.001% of China's average 25,000 deaths a day are from the virus
  • Dr Jeremy Samuel Faust said people should not be anxious about the outbreak and stop hoarding food and masks
  • He claimed that the coronavirus death rate is less than 1 percent - far lower than the World Health Organization’s alarming figures of 3.4 percent
  • The doctor slammed the ‘frightening numbers’ which overstate the risk
  • Faust said that looking at the doomed Diamond Princess cruise ship gives a better indication of how fatal the disease is than global statistics
  • Around 705 passengers out of the 3,711 on board the boat caught coronavirus
  • Only six people from the boat have died, giving a death rate of 0.85 percent, and all deaths are in people over 70
  • He casts doubt on China's death toll, saying many happened in areas where the death rate is already higher than the norm and respiratory issues are rife
  • He also pointed out that 25,000 people die in China every day, while just 25 coronavirus deaths were reported per day at the height of the outbreak
  • Instead of stockpiling food, Faust said the public should be helping the elderly and infirm who are most at risk
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

Make your own hand wash ....12 oz of Grey Goose with 12 oz of Antibacterial Dawn, mix slowly, wash your hands with mix. Then one shot of Grey Goose for you.

Do both every hour through out the day......if you end up testing positive for coronavirus you won’t even give a shit.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you four helping out.
I had been working at the Trade Center for 5 years. I'm an IBEW electrician and we were (ironically) doing a big security upgrade due to the previous garage bombing. Turnstiles, cameras, card readers, mag-locks, etc. I knew a lot of people that died that day. I just got goosebumps typing that. They put me on nights that week. That's what saved my life. I was working in tower 1 on the 110th floor. I would have never made it down if it were normal daytime hours.
I can tell you some horror stories...but I'll just stop there.
During the cleanup, we wore our respirators all the time along with all the other ppe. The union had strict rules, thank goodness.
Scary stuff. I don't know why I did it. Maybe for the people we lost. It was like a second home to me working there for 5 years.
Anyway, like 911, this virus will definitely leave some permanent scars, especially for people directly affected. It will change the way we live. Some bad but some good too. A lot the good in people is coming forth. We'll get through it. We're Americans....Stay home, be safe, heed the suggestions from the medical professionals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, as mentioned by idrhawke, Corona deaths are a fraction compared to flu, but no hysteria over that. Why is that? Can't just be social media. Those platforms have been around for a while now. I think the media has a lot of the responsibility for the hysteria.

I believe social media platforms do more harm than good. If you want to keep in touch with relatives and friends, just give them an old fashioned phone call. People write things on there they wouldn't say to your face. Nothing but trouble. If people would just get off there, that crap will go away and we'd be better off.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, as mentioned by idrhawke, Corona deaths are a fraction compared to flu, but no hysteria over that. Why is that? Can't just be social media. Those platforms have been around for a while now. I think the media has a lot of the responsibility for the hysteria.

I believe social media platforms do more harm than good. If you want to keep in touch with relatives and friends, just give them an old fashioned phone call. People write things on there they wouldn't say to your face. Nothing but trouble. If people would just get off there, that crap will go away and we'd be better off.
Simple the corona can last Days on an object the flue can not it has the potential like ny is seeing like in a subway the numbers can skyrocket and swamp hospitals .

Reactions: j.w

Ask a Question