How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I worked at ground zero after 911, our union had us test fitted to wear respirators. First we had a lung capacity test, then a fit test. They wanted to make sure you lungs could handle the restriction. If you had a beard, you had to shave it.
Thank you four helping out. I was asked as well but Fortunately "FOR ME" the woman I was talking to on the hot line after asking for credentials and saying your what we need! she asked what I thought it was going to be like I told her it was a war zone complete hell on earth she asked why I told her in today's world we remove glass asbestos and maybe lead from buildings we tear down you have 2- 100 story buI'lllding full of all the above and the glass the steal is going to rip apart rescue efforts and when you move a chunk of concrete and flip it over have fing a hand with a wedding ring on it and or much worse what did she think to call it. she said I was a pessimist and not what She thought they needed. I am disappointed didn't help yet I am not at all. when I heard the EPA say there was no hazard in breathing the dust I said there is our leaders doing there best NOT... as you know too many rescue workers have already died from lung issues. Sorry you had to go through that it was a hot summer to boot that year.. Thanks again for being there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you imagine being on a bus during this crisis with 50 people for 2 hours each way?
That's that idiot Deblasio for you. He and Como HOWEVER COMO AT LEAST IS SEEMINGLY doing a decent job with the corona or at least is trying.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bleach kills corona virus in one minute. peroxide in 2 minutes. There are many common cleaners that kill it outside the body its once inside the host it's a issue

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our numbers here are climbing. Young and old.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Gemma - thanks for the explanation! I should have been able to figure that out, but since we took the "shelter in place" order pretty literally it was hard to imagine being even MORE quarantined!

Confirmed cases will climb as testing increases - one of the "dangers" of testing, I suppose. it's hard to measure the increases when we didn't have a good handle on how many people were actually infected before testing really ramped up. There are people who are in hospitals with presumed cases who were waiting for testing. The U.S. was reporting presumptive cases as confirmed in the beginning - I haven't checked recently, so I don't know if they've modified that. Same with death rate - how can you calculate a death rate when you can't accurately measure how many cases actually exist? Numbers are good, but definitely not a science when it comes to this kind of stuff. Too many immeasurable factors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Once you get my age, you get the flu shot, and a couple of different pneumonia shots this year, and every year. The shots are specific for the changing types of flu, obviously last years flu. On Medicare shots are free.

It is still about 50/50 you can still get sick even with the vaccine, just hopefully much less sick and less likely to die. The problem is coronavirus is new, no vaccine available, and the people that end up dying from it appear to get much sicker than the normal flu. The greatest at risk appear to have weakened immune systems and elderly who can get very sick from it. The fact is with any disease you need to get exposed and have it enter you body to allow the immune system to fight it off in order to build immunity. A very very small percentage die in the process every year.

All we are doing with quarantine is slowing it down, it won’t stop it. As ridiculous as it sounds, we really want everyone to get it. That is what vaccines do...give you a mild case to allow the immune system build immunity. Most people never realize they have caught a virus because they have strong immune systems.

I amazed when I saw the CDC estimate that up to 59,000 may die in the U.S. from influenzas flu this flu season. No one appears concerned. So far we have less that a 1,000 deaths from coronavirus. We have a long way to go before coronavirus catches up to influenzas. Personal opinion after looking at numbers it won’t me much different or as bad as the influenza. In 1968 100,000 in the U.S. died from the flu, I got it and was in and out of bed for two months, and I don’t remember any mass hysteria. I haven’t had the flu again. We have gone thru this before. The biggest difference between then and now is instant communication on the internet and 24 hour news.

Wash your hands and watch TV like the rest of us.....not to worry. Stay off of the hysterical the sky is falling fake news channels. There is plenty of positive news out there, it just doe to make headlines. Like..........

Leading Harvard doctor says coronavirus is NOT as deadly as feared because only a small number of contained cruise ship passengers have died and only 0.001% of China's average 25,000 deaths a day are from the virus
  • Dr Jeremy Samuel Faust said people should not be anxious about the outbreak and stop hoarding food and masks
  • He claimed that the coronavirus death rate is less than 1 percent - far lower than the World Health Organization’s alarming figures of 3.4 percent
  • The doctor slammed the ‘frightening numbers’ which overstate the risk
  • Faust said that looking at the doomed Diamond Princess cruise ship gives a better indication of how fatal the disease is than global statistics
  • Around 705 passengers out of the 3,711 on board the boat caught coronavirus
  • Only six people from the boat have died, giving a death rate of 0.85 percent, and all deaths are in people over 70
  • He casts doubt on China's death toll, saying many happened in areas where the death rate is already higher than the norm and respiratory issues are rife
  • He also pointed out that 25,000 people die in China every day, while just 25 coronavirus deaths were reported per day at the height of the outbreak
  • Instead of stockpiling food, Faust said the public should be helping the elderly and infirm who are most at risk
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

Make your own hand wash ....12 oz of Grey Goose with 12 oz of Antibacterial Dawn, mix slowly, wash your hands with mix. Then one shot of Grey Goose for you.

Do both every hour through out the day......if you end up testing positive for coronavirus you won’t even give a shit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you four helping out.
I had been working at the Trade Center for 5 years. I'm an IBEW electrician and we were (ironically) doing a big security upgrade due to the previous garage bombing. Turnstiles, cameras, card readers, mag-locks, etc. I knew a lot of people that died that day. I just got goosebumps typing that. They put me on nights that week. That's what saved my life. I was working in tower 1 on the 110th floor. I would have never made it down if it were normal daytime hours.
I can tell you some horror stories...but I'll just stop there.
During the cleanup, we wore our respirators all the time along with all the other ppe. The union had strict rules, thank goodness.
Scary stuff. I don't know why I did it. Maybe for the people we lost. It was like a second home to me working there for 5 years.
Anyway, like 911, this virus will definitely leave some permanent scars, especially for people directly affected. It will change the way we live. Some bad but some good too. A lot the good in people is coming forth. We'll get through it. We're Americans....Stay home, be safe, heed the suggestions from the medical professionals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, as mentioned by idrhawke, Corona deaths are a fraction compared to flu, but no hysteria over that. Why is that? Can't just be social media. Those platforms have been around for a while now. I think the media has a lot of the responsibility for the hysteria.

I believe social media platforms do more harm than good. If you want to keep in touch with relatives and friends, just give them an old fashioned phone call. People write things on there they wouldn't say to your face. Nothing but trouble. If people would just get off there, that crap will go away and we'd be better off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, as mentioned by idrhawke, Corona deaths are a fraction compared to flu, but no hysteria over that. Why is that? Can't just be social media. Those platforms have been around for a while now. I think the media has a lot of the responsibility for the hysteria.

I believe social media platforms do more harm than good. If you want to keep in touch with relatives and friends, just give them an old fashioned phone call. People write things on there they wouldn't say to your face. Nothing but trouble. If people would just get off there, that crap will go away and we'd be better off.
Simple the corona can last Days on an object the flue can not it has the potential like ny is seeing like in a subway the numbers can skyrocket and swamp hospitals .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just found out Washington Hospital Center is scheduling transport of 2 cases of positive Covid-19. They won't do air transport, too hard to decontaminate a helicopter so ground transport. My hubby works dispatch and that's where ambulances are located. He deals with the crews every day. They are not being given updates on what is going on, not testing or if they are, not reporting it. Have one employee out sick- flu! Makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to keep things safe here.
BTW- thought. This was supposed to be non-political thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry if that pisses anyone off but your disapproval is misdirected that's for sure. We think things are bad now if China gets pissed and refuses to send only 30 drugs only they make for us .one being amoxicillin that's when you'll see deaths sky rocket.

Reaction score
Country
United States
An additional note to my post. As I said I have not had the flu in over 50 years and I have a pretty strong immune system from getting so sick from the flu once. With that said, after reading numerous article and the accounts of many testing positive For coronavirus and never feeing very bad. I believe I may have caught the coronavirus about a month ago. I awoke with a sore throat and a deep cough and just tired. A few days later I woke up soaking wet from sweating, never felt a fever. For the next week I was weak and would have breakfast and fall back asleep until noon.

I am finally over the deep cough. I though it might been simply the start of pollen season. Now that I rethink, the waking up soaking wet doesn’t fit. I feel fine now, but there is a good chance my immune system was fighting off a virus. Maybe coronavirus. My symptoms were like many how have tested positive and been tracked. I think we will end finding the wide majority of those infected will easily fight it off and the mortality rates of those really infected is low

. 7E7F70BD-615F-4193-B328-D7E553DB124B.jpeg

i still think my home made hand wash is the best option.....not to worry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
People are freaking out. Someone twisted what they heard, I just had to talk to the district boss about something someone said that was supposedly said in my store on my shift... either the person who claims to have heard it will never come by again, or the one who’s words were twisted will get fired, most likely the first case, all depends on what was actually said. Can’t say I’d be upset to loose that individual, except we are short staffed as it is.
The panic is real here, folks think catching it means death, the current policy is if any of us are confirmed to have it, entire store will be shut down and disinfect every thing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have pysoriasis it's a curse and a blessing I had what I thought was the flue the end of January but it never lasts long the imunsystem is on over drive with pysoriasis.

Ask a Question