How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
People over 65 and those of any age that have immune deficiencies or respiratory problems should indeed stay home. But for how long? Indefinitely? If you listen to the powers that be, yes. Indefinitely. Who knows when a vaccine will be developed and if it will be safe or even work for everyone?

Meanwhile the rest of society can go back to work. Things will definitely be a bit different. You'll have to sanitize your hands often, don't touch your face and keep up the social distancing. But it can and has to be done or We'll never recover. Sweeden is a good model.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Andrew , I'm sorry your parents must return to work tomorrow. It's not a fair choice. I wish more companies had policies like my neighbor benefited from at Lowes, allowing those at risk , over 65, to have paid time off.

Thank you, Tula.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Our choices.

The surgical scientific option. Test all and isolate the infectious people and then go back to work. You won't have to worry about getting reinfected the next day because on one with the virus will be around to reinfect you. There are simple tests with results in a few hours. Do what is necessary to ramp them up. Things will quickly get back to normal. Test everyone entering the nation as Austria does.

The blunt approach. Isolated everyone because we don't know who has or doesn't have the virus. Difficult to implement because there is a lot of resistance to everyone being cooped up at home and there are a lot of economic consequences.

Do nothing approach. Hospitals will become overwhelmed and won't be able to help even non virus emergency patients. Many people will die. Long term consequences of recovered virus patients are unknown. Hope for the best.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The blunt approach
You forgot one thing there won't be any hospitals left to treat anyone, or gas to get therefore gave away gas this year literally gave it away. If that doesn't tell you isolating doesn't work.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw an ad on tv where parents show realife school at home and thm trying to figure it all out and going nuts .They all along said now we know what a hard job teachers rreally have and thank teachers for putting up with all the classroom confusion that must go on .They all said it is harder than they ever realized .More need to step in the shoe of others to see how hard some of those jobs can be and how they are not paid enough .We are learning from this covid 19 what real life is like and that patience is what we need .I see it here more than ever before even though we are rural neighbors have checked on each other to make sure they are OK.Maybe we needed this to bring us together as 1 .Sad to say that this is what it took .I have had neighbors stop me when I am mowing or doing yard work and ask if we needed anything while they are out ..The world can be a peaceful place and all we need is love .https://youtu.be/45i_PbQV-HY

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some counties in PA are opening things up against the governor's orders. They are fed up and I don't blame them.
The governor is threatening to withhold future funding to those counties. How can he punish everyone in a county for the actions of others? I don't think that will hold up in court.
He's threatening to revoke liquor licenses, business licenses and occupancy licenses for businesses that open without regard to his orders.
The governor needs to trust people to restart the economy in a safe manner. We can do it. We know how to act appropriately to protect ourselves and others.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some counties in PA are opening things up against the governor's orders. They are fed up and I don't blame them.
The governor is threatening to withhold future funding to those counties. How can he punish everyone in a county for the actions of others? I don't think that will hold up in court.
He's threatening to revoke liquor licenses, business licenses and occupancy licenses for businesses that open without regard to his orders.
The governor needs to trust people to restart the economy in a safe manner. We can do it. We know how to act appropriately to protect ourselves and others.

GEE doesn't this sound an awful lot like the Governors going against federal law with the sanctuary city and the giving out licenses to those unlawfully in the country. PAYBACKS A byatch. Pa has all those demographics all rolled into one you have philly definitely an issue by it's self and then you have farming pa who have every right to go back to work for they are so removed from this all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, it's getting ugly.
This is America and our citizens are resisting in the name of freedom, one of our basic rights. So many forms of freedom are being infringed upon.
After a couple months of this, they are realizing what is really going on and they are defending their rights.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
PA laws are kinda of wierd as my mom and dad died when I was 30 years old and because I was born in PA and so were my mom and dad I was considered an orphan and given orphans benefits to this day .Strange state if you ask me .Main reason my mom and dad moved to NJ and reason I retired in VA .Funny thing was they told me I could double it if I moved to PA or retired there .We just need to be patient .Now the veteran hospital; in NJ has lost over 72 patients and all to covid 19 .So do we risk it getting worse ,I think so and will not risk it at my age.I WANT TO LIVE LONGER

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
PA laws are kinda of wierd as my mom and dad died when I was 30 years old and because I was born in PA and so were my mom and dad I was considered an orphan and given orphans benefits to this day .Strange state if you ask me .Main reason my mom and dad moved to NJ and reason I retired in VA .Funny thing was they told me I could double it if I moved to PA or retired there .We just need to be patient .Now the veteran hospital; in NJ has lost over 72 patients and all to covid 19 .So do we risk it getting worse ,I think so and will not risk it at my age.I WANT TO LIVE LONGER
Yep, PA has some strange laws/rules. It's a commonwealth. I could never figure out what that means. When I looked it up, it said it was the same as a State. Somehow I think that is incorrect.
That orphan stuff is wild. I've never heard of that. What was your age at the time they classified you as an orphan? Were you a minor or an adult?
PA is also one of those good retirement states. Non of my pensions or Social Security gets taxed by the State. I save a substantial amount of money.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was born in PA but my parents left when I was around 8 months old.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was 30 years old and pregnant with my second son and they were murdered .Same here in VA where my hubbies mom and dad moved to ,but much warmer than PA .My dads family was from South williamsport and my moms family mostly from Berwick and Benton .But were mostly born in Mifflenville.My mom and dad left PA when I was almost 4 and moved back to PA when they sold the farm in NJ and retired

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was 30 years old and pregnant with my second son and they were murdered .Same here in VA where my hubbies mom and dad moved to ,but much warmer than PA .My dads family was from South williamsport and my moms family mostly from Berwick and Benton .But were mostly born in Mifflenville.My mom and dad left PA when I was almost 4 and moved back to PA when they sold the farm in NJ and retired
They were murdered? I hope that was a typo. If not, OMG, I don't know what to say, that's horrific.

Ask a Question