Plants for shaded pond - under the oaks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Hi,

I'm enjoying my first pond so much that I'm trying to figure out where I can put another one. I've got very limited space where there is any sun and because of the zoning in my area the pond needs to be within a fence which further limits all ponding to the back yard. I have 3 big oaks in the backyard and put my first pond in the only place with sun (about 4-5 hours a day) - so the only areas left are shaded for pretty much the entire day Also the location I'm considering is a bit far from the house to run electricity, so I'm thinking more of a wildlife pond with just a few Rosy Reds to eat up any mosquito larva that might show up and then let frogs, etc. come when they want.

I know all the issues of no filtration, etc., but I'm willing to see how this goes. My existing pond is crystal clear, so I'll just have to look at that one when I want clear water...

I was thinking most of bog and marginal plants around the outside edge and then leaving the middle open. Part of the reason for that is to make it possible to rake out leaves. I'll net it in the fall, but I expect leaves will be an ongoing issue, so I'd rather keep it easy enough to try to clean out.

So, what are my options for plants that will actually thrive in this pond. Anything that flowers would be welcome, but I know most flowering plants may need actual direct sun. I have pickerel rush and pennywort in my current bog that I thought I might be able to move some of since I don't think they need direct sun and I've got enough to experiment with a few. For others, I'd rather make sure I'm getting plants that will make it since those I'll have to pay for. And extra points for anything that is closer to being a native to the Virginia area would be great.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
My neighbor has 2 small no electric frog ponds that he does nothing to except clean the big stuff out once a year. He is the frog man!!!! There is duck weed in them and the frogs look so cool floating and popping their eyes up above the water level! There is also a nice layer of leaves that he keeps there and the frogs are always on them. He has had them for at least 12 years now.

Reaction score
I have a pond in shade, marsh marigolds will work, horsetail rush, irises will bloom in shade but not as much as full sun. Most types of rushes will grow in shade, Creeping jenny will grow in shade, but will not bloom, color of it is nice though :) hope this helps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You will kick yourself if you limit yourself to local native plants. Spectacular plants have evolved for such a niche in many parts of the world, it is quite a treat to discover asiatic lilies etc....

There are quite a few shade tolerant, shade loving plants suitable for ponds and water gardens, you may want to think twice about spatterdocks, they tend to be large sprawly plants six feet wide. There are a couple of small forms of spatterdock (very nice plants) Cape Fear Spatterdock, and Nuphar Pumilla Minima, these are one of the few waterlily types that thrive in a lot of shade

In a hot Summer, hardy waterlilies can 'cope' and thrive surprisingly well, I've tried several of the prolific varieties with 'better' growing characteristics and seen them flower quite well in almost complete shade, they tend to put out bigger foliage and the blooms cope well shaded in the worst heat of the day. A few tried include Indiana, Rose Arey, Pink Beauty, Splendida, Tomocik, Peaches and Cream, Joanne Pring....

Aquatic shade tolerant plants:

Submerged aquatics: Hornwort, Anacharis, Cabomba, Bladderwort

Hardy floaters and marginal plants:
(prefer saturated soil conditions, water over their roots)

Alisma*, Acorus calamus, Acorus calamus variegatus, Arrow arum, Arrowhead*, Azolla, Bladderwort, Bog Arum- Calla palustris*, Cotton grass, Cyperus longus, Eleocharis (spike rush), Equesetum hyemale, Frogbit, Golden club*, Iris laevigata*, Carex sedges, Lizards tail*, Mares tail, Marsh marigold*, Marsh pennywort, Marsilea, Nuphar pumilla minima*, Parrots feather, Pennywort, Nymphiodes aquatica, Phalaris, Scirpus zebrinus, Typha (not the nasty latifolia, way too invasive) Water Hawthorn*, Water Lettuce, Water Mint* ....

Bog plants:
(Prefer moist but not saturated soil conditions)

Hardies: Acer, Aconitum, Alchemila, Alliums, Arum lilies*, Aruncus, Arundinaria, Astilbe*, Azalea*, Berberis, Bergenia, Brunnera, Carex pendula, Chamaecyparis, Cimicifuga, Cinnamon fern, Creeping Jenny, Ferns (Many), Convallaria, Corylus, Cotton grass, Cornus, Cotula, Cyclamen, Danae, Dicentra, Epimedium, Euonymus, Filipendula, Fritillaria, Galium, Gentiana, Helleborus, Hemerocallis*, Hemp agrimony, Hepatica, Heucherella, Hosta*, Hydrangea*, Ligularia, Liriope, Lisichiton*, Lilium*, Lonicera*, Lupinus, Lychnis, Lythrum, Meconopsis*, Mimulus*, Miscanthus, Peltiphylum (Darmera) Phyllostachys, Polygonum, Primula*, Ranunculus, Rhamnus, Rheum*, Rhododendron*, Rodgersia, Royal Fern, Rubus, Sasa veitchii, Saxifraga, Senecio, Sinarundinaria, Sium suave, Skullcap, Tellima, Viola*, Weigela

* = attractive flowers or spathes, in season

Half hardy (need Wintering frost free): Cyperus Alternifolia, Cyperus Isocladus, Crinum Americanum*, Gymnocoronum spilanthoides, Cyperus papyrus, Arum lilies (callas) Marselia, Taro, Salvinia, Umbrella grass

I list some full aquatics as well as bog plants. There are enough plants mentioned above to cram many a pool, bog, water margin... arrow arum alone likes to make an exotic foliage plant 3 foot high, and 3ft wide when it has conditions it likes... Many of them are 'specimen plants' ...in effect they are gobsmackers.

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Thank you Fishlove and Andy. There is a lot to think of. I have already overcrowded my first pond so I'll try to be cautious about what I put in this one, but you've given me some great suggestions.

Ask a Question