How long does Koi Vibrance fish food lasts..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Shelly, Good Koi food can be used with goldfish and get basically the same results for both species. I use the same for both and have no complaints. If you have just goldfish some food has been specifically designed just for goldfish. Problem is, price it out per pound with koi food and it doubles or triples in price per pound. I have no clue why but goldfish food it usually smaller and lighter in weight. If your going to feed both try and find a pellet size of less than 5mm. Unless you have koi of ever 18" they will be fine for both Koi and goldfish. Dr. Fosters and Smith brand and Blackwater creek again are good food for the money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is anyone willing to just name a brand of food?

I have found Hikari makes a great goldfish food. I wonder if the same can be said for their Koi food?

Honestly, Piscine Energetics Inc came out a couple years ago with a Mysis Shrimp pellet option in 1mm 2mm and 3mm sizes and sell them in up to 25LBs Buckets. I've never heard of them before until I did some research and found that they have exclusive rights to harvest the Mysis Shrimp in all of BC's freshwater lakes and have their own patents with the NRC to put the Mysis Shrimp in Flake, Pellet and Freeze-Dried forms.

I called them a couple months ago and they said they are about to launch a Koi Brand but I've been using their slow-sinking Freshwater Pellets 2mm and 3mm and my water has never been cleaner and my fish are looking beautiful!

Also they have a 4-year shelf-life so I get to save money as well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I normally buy a 5.27 lb of Koi Vibrance fish food and was curious as to how long larger packages would last. I have been buying 5.27 lb bags but would like to save some $ by buying the 8.27 lb zip lock bag (or larger). I have approximately 20 fish in my small pond, about 540 gallons, containing mostly shubunkins and 3 Koi which are now about 10-12 long inches in size and growing fast with big appetites. My 5.27 bag has lasted about a year but the Koi are now really devouring the food quickly. I had thought of buying a 16.5 lb bag that would bring the cost down from $4.80 a lb to $3.60 a lb, a pretty good saving but not sure how long it would last so really looking at the 8.27 lb size (am I wrong on the 16.5 lb size?). I don't really think zip lock bags last very long but perhaps I am wrong. The Vibrance Koi food that I am referring to is made by TetraPond. The fish reallly like this food and they have wonderful color.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks...........Ralph
Hi Ralph. So I would suggest to just buy enough food to last you a month or two. You probably know better than any of us how much food you go through everyday. So I have been buying food about once a month. I actually mix Blue Ridge Koi food with Hakari. So they get some of the more expensive food but the Blue Ridge stretches things out so it saves me some money. Its about half the cost. I have both Koi and Goldfish. There are limitless ways you can stagger you food purchases. I wouldn’t buy more than you use in a season so that it stays fresh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ralph. So I would suggest to just buy enough food to last you a month or two. You probably know better than any of us how much food you go through everyday. So I have been buying food about once a month. I actually mix Blue Ridge Koi food with Hakari. So they get some of the more expensive food but the Blue Ridge stretches things out so it saves me some money. Its about half the cost. I have both Koi and Goldfish. There are limitless ways you can stagger you food purchases. I wouldn’t buy more than you use in a season so that it stays fresh.
Keith; Ralph figured this out over 7 years ago. I think he's good!!! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Keith; Ralph figured this out over 7 years ago. I think he's good!!! :LOL:
Uhg.....I was going to add something and then you pointed this out!

We've been getting a lot of that. Ancient threads that get revived.

Those old threads are good for reviewing and learning, but should be closed automatically after some set amount of time. I wonder if that's possible to accomplish with the site software.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Uhg.....I was going to add something and then you pointed this out!

We've been getting a lot of that. Ancient threads that get revived.

Those old threads are good for reviewing and learning, but should be closed automatically after some set amount of time. I wonder if that's possible to accomplish with the site software.
ya have ta channel @Ian for this one!

Ask a Question