how to build a pond and waterfall

Reaction score
hi all.went to look a pond to day for a friend of the mother in law :razz: little pond :razz:

Attachments

• 008_210.jpg
    008_210.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 207

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think you are going to end up rebuilding a lot of ponds for people once the word gets out it just keeps going .I hope you are up to all the work

Reaction score
hi all.the story of the pond.the owner of the pond started the re build himself,ripped out the stone from around the pond also ripped out the old waterfall which was constructed out of concrete,then he left it like as seen in the photo a mess :beer: littlepond :beer:

Reaction score
hi monday evening in ireland.cleaned out old pond.it took all day full of some stuff :razz: littlepond :razz:

Attachments

• 008_210.jpg
    008_210.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 013_114.jpg
    013_114.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 226

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So what's the plan LP? Are ya gonna have to re-dig it all deeper and larger? Hope you post pix as you go
diggingahole.gif

Reaction score
hi j w yes i am going to make the pond larger and deeper,the owners want 2 waterfalls flowing into the pond :razz: littlepond :razz:

Reaction score
hi from ireland,made the pond a little bigger,the owner got a skimmer in from germany a few weeks ago.i will use a 13 in plastic pipe with holes in it for the second waterfall'i will use the pump that was in the old pond.put in the liner :razz: littlepond :razz:

Attachments

• 004_114.jpg
    004_114.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 002_203.jpg
    002_203.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 003_237.jpg
    003_237.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 225
Reaction score
hi all,off to bed soon ,big days work on pond tomorrow doing all the rocks and gravel :razz: littlepond :razz:

LOL! I was wondering if you ever did sleep! Just reading your thread and loving it. Your waterfall is excellent and you have a superb terrain for it with the slope of the natural hillside there. You couldn't ask for a better opportunity for a waterfall. It is one of the tallest ones I have seen or even imagined. It looks more like nature made it. I think most of us think of a waterfall in the range of six inches to five or six feet. How tall is yours overall? Looks like a minimum of 15 feet for certain to me. I am guessing 18-22 feet? Hard for me to judge from the photo. I am not good at that. What kind of a pump are you using to circulate the water up to the top of the fall? You may address that eventually in this thread, I am just making my way through your thread from the very start for the first time and I haven't got to the end (up to present date) just yet.

Gordy

Reaction score
Littlepond,

I made it to the point of being up to date with your thread on your pond and the Mother-in-law's and getting started on the friend of your MIL's pond. Very nice work my friend!

I read that other's referred to you as a stone mason and then you referred to yourself as a stonesman. Can you explain what your specialty is exactly? Do you work in a stone quarry extracting the materials or do you actually cut the stones and model them into these designs or do you work at both?

My conception of Ireland is that there is a lot of stone to be found, everywhere. Not sure if that is entirely accurate, but I am sure that you have much more stone and rock available than I do in my region of the state of Nebraska in USA. We have some glacial till that we can access and there are a few limestone quaries to the southeast of my location. But, mostly we have sand, gravel clay and a lot of good black dirt for productive farming of corn and soybeans. Not too much rock.

I live on a river here and we canoe and boat around on this river often. There is one cliff that rises about 100 feet above the river. When the spring floods come, it erodes the side of the bluff away and exposes the glacial till rock deposits which fall into the river. We always try to grab a few pieces when we can to take home and use for ornamental purposes. It's mostly granite (pink and purple and gray in color). But, there is a lot of other rock mixed into it besides the granite. It's kind of a mixed bag of everything resulting from the glacial action that deposited it all. Once, there was a boulder that became exposed and rolled into the river. It was as large as a small, one room cottage. Maybe 20 feet diameter. Amazingly, it didn't stay there, the river has so much power that it eventually washed down into the sand and migrated downstream until it disappeared under the surface. It didn't take more than two or three years for that to happen. Water has a lot of power!

Thanks for showing us your pond pix! In the beginning, it sounded like you were asking for advice. I think you should be giving advice, instead! You do very excellent work!

Your friend, from across the BIG POND (LOL!)

Gordy

Reaction score
hi gordy,thanks for the nice words,the waterfall was built when i moved in to the house.it just was not working.it is about 25 ft high.the pump that works is a sump pump,i am a stone mason by trade.i build walls and house fronts,see photos :razz: littlepond :razz:

Reaction score
hi forgot the photos

Attachments

• dscf3605_787.jpg
    dscf3605_787.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 241
  • dscf3603_479.jpg
    dscf3603_479.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 275
  • dscf3601_182.jpg
    dscf3601_182.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 221