how to build a pond and waterfall

Reaction score
hi catfishnut,GOS was before my time,i am a u2 fan myself and a few pints of guinness :beer: are nice alsow :razz: littlepond :razz:

Littlepond,

I was quite young when G O'S was at the pinnacle of his carreer (1972 deemed #1 male singer in the UK). I would have been about 6, but I remember his music well because my older brothers and sister were buying his music. Can you believe it, they were on 45 rpm records! Heh heh, that's going back quite a ways. I definitely like U2, also. Very talented!

I am not too much of a fan of ales or stouts, but more along the line of Pilsners. I enjoy all varieties, though. I used to go to a local pub here that specialized in beers from all over the world and, although I haven't done so in quite a few years, I used to make my own brew at home. You end up learning a great deal about the quality of your tap water when home brewing. Kinda helps me with my pond stuff to a small extent.

I actually have a small pond here on the farm where I live. It's not something that I built, it is an old water retention pond for irrigation purposes, but no longer used. It used to be extremely deep, like 50 feet, but I think that it is sedimented in. It might be 5-10 feet or as much as 15-20 feet now, I really never have checked it out. I have been trying to stock it with fish recently, but I think it is too prone to winter kill. It lies in a steep ravine surrounded by many trees so when it ices over, the snow collects down in there thick on top of the ice and blocks the sunlight. It's too far away from electrical power, so I cannot run any sort of aerator unless I use something powered by the wind or sun.

I had some bullhead catfish survive through one really bad winter, so maybe it will be alright after all. I will check it out this coming spring and see if anything has survived. It they have, then they will have made it through three winters and will probably continue to go on. In 2009 I seined up a couple thousand bullhead catfish fry that were about 1 inch long. Not sure of the number, but they were a solid mass in a 6 gallon bucket, nearly full. In 2010 I saw a few swimming that were 3 inches + in length, but I didn't see any this year when I looked. If they are that much bigger, they would have been more adept at hiding, smarter and wiser.

This pond varies in width from 20 feet to 45 feet maybe and about 150 feet long maximum. It has potential, but it is difficult to get to. It is about 1/4 mile through dense underbrush and poor terrain (going up and down steep hills like where you placed your waterfall - not quite so much, but too much for most vehicles). Best traversed on foot or by horseback.

Well, anyway, it has been a pleasure witnessing your pond builds and chatting with you! Keep it up and keep the pix coming when you can.

Gordy

Reaction score
hi all from ireland.finished pond and 2 waterfalls today ,frosty for the last few days ,water a small bit icy. :razz: little pond :razz:

Attachments

• 003_210.jpg
    003_210.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 004_137.jpg
    004_137.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 005_136.jpg
    005_136.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 007_180.jpg
    007_180.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 010_144.jpg
    010_144.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
hi all,here is a before and after photo of pond and waterfall re vamp,we also put in a 3 ft gravel path around the pond littlepond

Attachments

• 008_210.jpg
    008_210.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 007_180.jpg
    007_180.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
hi all from ireland.the materials for the pond re vamp cost about 1600 e or 2000 d .some of the stones were reused from the old pond and we bought the rest from a local supplier.we all so reused one pump from the old pond :razz: littlepond :razz:

Reaction score
Howdy again Littlepond,

I hear you when you talk about the weather getting a little "icy". We had a bit of a cold snap over the past weekend here. Sunday morning it got down to 18°F (-9°C). There was a thin layer of ice on all the still ponds and lakes, even Monday after it warmed up a bit. I have stopped work on my bait tank project for the time being. I don't like to work in that temperature. I cannot grab things with thick gloves on and my bare fingers don't work so well in that cold anymore, especially if I am getting wet.

Your pictures are looking really well!

Gordy

Reaction score
hi all from ireland.lovely sunny day here today ,back at building a small stone wall ,any photos of your pond GORDY ,here are some photos of what i built today :razz: littlepond :razz:

Attachments

• dscf3610_104.jpg
    dscf3610_104.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 255
  • dscf3618_129.jpg
    dscf3618_129.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 200

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very very nice, love the stones, love the wall! fantastic!

hand_applause.gif
hand_applause.gif

Reaction score

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It holds fish it is a pond Gordy! well sort of

Reaction score
hi all from ireland,here is what i was doing for the last couple of days :razz: littlepond :razz:

Attachments

• 8678794.jpg
    8678794.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 218

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh wow nice but is the opening that small for a reason ..I love the way the mantle is held up by stone too and the different size rocks are what makes it

Ask a Question