How to fertilize Lilly's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Will this work? If so how many per plant.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 10.48.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 10.48.27 AM.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Will this work? If so how many per plant.
That's not meant for aquatic plants. It's a powder that dissolves in water, so it won't stay put in the pot with the plants. You need a slow release tablet or pellets. This is what I usually use:
This one is a small tablet that is poked down into the soil in the pot on a regular (every two weeks or so) basis throughout the growing season.

The 'once a year' method is using Osomocote:
This one is little beads that slowly dissolve. You sprinkle it in the bottom of the pot when planting or repotting/dividing, under the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
OK, I'm slow this morning. I saw "crane" and thought "Heron?! Wha??" then came to my senses and got another cup of coffee.
One of the pond places here uses a piece of 1/2" PVC that they jam down into the lily planter still in the pond and drops the fertilizer tab down the middle of the pvc, then covers the hole back up. I haven't tried it yet, but soon (in spring).
(As the GPF says, you may have to hire a crane, but herons volunteer.)
That's another good idea, thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How many per pot?

I've used the spikes with good results. I'd put 4-6 in at a time, depending on the size of the pot. Spread them out around the tubers. The only problem I had was the spikes crumbling as I tried to push them into the pot.

Ask a Question