Water lily fertilizer tabs that dont crumble?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The Pondtabs I bought crumble before I can push them into the lily and lotus pots. It’s getting worse as the water gets warmer and the roots more compact. I heard a rumor of tabs coated with a plant-based film that dissolved *after* being wet for a short period. I’d appreciate suggestions for brands or a better technique. Including a photo of happy Zephyranthes as thanks.
The ponds have frogs plus visiting dragonflies, birds, and other wildlife but not fish.

Attachments

• 748B476B-1174-4DDE-89B6-83BFBBB20311.jpeg
    748B476B-1174-4DDE-89B6-83BFBBB20311.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I use AgSafe Aquatic Tabs and they don't crumble that easily. It helps to poke a hole the same diameter as the tab so you don't break your finger pushing through the roots. My son made this for me years ago to make the hole. I would think that sharpening a 1/2 inch wood dowel would work too.

Attachments

• pond tool.jpg
    pond tool.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I share your frustration. I use an old wooden spoon handle to accomplish what @snoozer 's tool does. Make a hole first and then drop the tab in.

A far better approach is one time fertilizing in the spring when you divide and re-pot. A sprinkling of Osmocote in the bottom of the pot mixed into the potting media works all season long.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A far better approach is one time fertilizing in the spring when you divide and re-pot. A sprinkling of Osmocote in the bottom of the pot mixed into the potting media works all season long.
I add osmocote in the fall and don't add any other fertilizer for the rest of the season, seems to work well. You can also put some osmocote in a piece of paper towel and shove it in.

Ask a Question