How to keep string algae away

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
clays allow for nutrient exchamge. zeolite is the most effective. zeolite absorbs ammonia and keeps it. the ammonias it absorbs are no longer available to be broken down to nitrites and nitrates...there goes some of the food source for the alge. if you buy the whitish "laboratory quality" zeolite for aquarium use you can soak it in a strong saltwater solution for 24 hours to rejuvenate it. the soaking draws out the ammonias, then a good rinsing...its ready to go again...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
zeolite you can buy at tractor supply in big bags ,it is used in horse stalls .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats the clay and it cant be rejuvenated....but it should be just as good as kitty littter, if not better. thats why they use it,... just like the kitty litter. it soaks up ammonia. cats have a strong concentration of ammonia in their urine. i imagine horses do too. or just the fact they release so much of it..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true you don't know how true that is about horses ,when they go they go .Thats how I found out about pdz horse stall refresher had zeolite in it and all you have to do to refresh it is clean it good and put it in salt water and put it back in the pond but since it comes in 25 lb bags you really don't need too .

my buddies

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can say that I put a nylon knee high full of kitty litter in my waterfall, and also planted all my lilies in kitty litter, and the algae has quit growing.

I have tons of lilies, plants all in kitty litter, no issues with algae, maybe that is why.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Addy did you just add to your bog or is it placed in a container of some kind?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put it right along the bog wall where there was a lot of water flow heading back into the pond. Just dumped it right on top of the pea gravel. It has blended in nicely, was white lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
crushed oyster shells can be added in any amount.in that you cant really overdose. .the more you add the longer they'll last, they dont do anything about alge, they just buffer or lock in your ph. dont add them til your ph is where you want it.

Ask a Question