How to keep string algae away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you put the activated charcoal in a net of some sort in your filters, ladies? I guess I have that in my aquariums, in the filter media, but never remember hearing about putting it in the pond. What does that help with in this situation? Maybe to clarify the water? Sounds interesting!
I think when I get my filter back together this weekend I'm going to put some of that volcanic rock or whatever it's call in a bag in there since it's not so heavy. I figure more stuff is only better for filtering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I heard you should use it if you use peat to get rid of algae. Peat makes the water tea colored, charcoal gets rid of the tea color. So I bought barley/peat extract in case I have an algae problem and charcoal in case I have to use the barley/peat extract. I bought some very finely nit laundry bags to put the charcoal in and if I use it I will place it in my Skippies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Both my beagles unfortunately

string algae season is almost here in virginia

Unfortunately, string algae season remained here in IL all winter long! I have it on my side walls. Maybe it's not the string algae, but it's long, maybe 6" or so all the way around, mostly lower where I can't reach it to pull it off. Going to have to use the peroxide, but first have to get the filter up and running so I have movement and oxygen in the water. Tomorrow is the target date ... again. LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have none, even though it has been warm this winter. There is some in the still water of the stream ponds, but I have not cleaned them out yet, or gotten the stream running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
While working on my new goldfish pond, I took these pictures of my koi and goldfish, and a closeup of the string algae on my shelves and sidewalls. This is what I'm hoping to get taken care of with some peroxide once I get the filter and fountain up and running tomorrow a.m.
String algae.JPGFish.JPG
Here I didn't think it was that bad, but when I see it in a picture, wowzer! It's really bad! The goldfish love to pick at it, and it's so thick the 3" fish can get inside it to hide as they nibble.
If you look closely on the far right in the fish picture, you will see 2 small goldfish, babies from last year, and on the very far left is one of the 2 that are still black, also baby from last year. The two black babies were really tiny going into winter, so once they start growing I'm guessing they will turn solid orange.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
woozers ce you do have it. I have not seen any.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just read this bit of info on the algae:

Hair algae is a slimy, bright green, filamentous algae that grows up to a few feet in length. It typically is about an inch long but tends to grow up to a few feet long in moving water. Hair algae is also called string algae and filamentous algae. It clings to the sides of the pond, pots, and any other surfaces. It can smother plants and clog filters. On the up side, it removes nutrients from the water and thus reduces the concentration of suspended algae so that you can see through the water better. Hair algae seems to do best in the winter in my ponds and likes moving water. It is unaffected by UV sterilizers because it does not pass through them. It is best to physically remove it by whirling it around fingers or sticks.
String algae does best in late winter when it provides an additional source of food for animals in the pond. Normally, fish would not eat it in the summer but in the late winter, not much else is available. The hair algae also, being a plant, provides some filtration of the water, helping to keep the rest of the pond clearer. When the pond warms up in spring, the hair algae usually dies back and the suspended algae begins to grow as well as the higher plants. If hair algae appears to take over the pond in the late winter, there is no need to panic. Simply physically remove any that interferes with filters, etc. and wait it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Whew, that's good news, JW. I'm going to go slow and see how things go with the filter running. I sure don't want it to take over, but if it will die back some, maybe I'll wait a while. The fish are enjoying it, and I know the frogs hide in it, too. I thought I had removed most of it, but it is either growing really fast, or i didn't get as much out as I thought. I grab it by hand, as a brush just seems to spin and not grab it, and it's stuck onto the liner really hard, too. I may have to go swimming when the water gets warmer if it isn't gone by then. But, thanks for the pointer, I'll not panic at least. I want the water to be clearer, too, and hoping the filter running will help that.
And, Addy, since you don't have any, that's why I'm going to make the goldfish pond not as large as originally planned, but the bog larger. We shall see if the bog can handle the algae, as if I move water from the original pond to the new pond eventually, I'm sure spores or whatever they would be called will flow into the new pond. Time will tell.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good job jw, a hers looks like hair algae, not string algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, yippees, you ladies are really making my day now! Then hopefully it will all go away after the pond warms up. I did pull the lily pots up last weekend and tried to remove as much as I could from the plants. They all have small leaves starting to grow, but the water temp keeps bouncing from 45 to 50, so I guess they can't decide if it's safe yet to really get to going! Do you have any lilies to the top of the water yet, Addy? I think you are warmer there than me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the sites, JW ... I think. I felt the second site was talking over me, as I have no idea how to test my pond water for things other than the test kits have. I know my water is harder than some, but my KH/GH are never over 25, and I think that's pretty low. Other than that, when I tested my pond just a couple of weeks ago, everything was in the norm. Ammonia was zero. I have no idea why I have all this algae, and it is definitely the fast growing type, as when I pull it from one area, it seems to be right back there within a week. Maybe I need to not only try to get to the lower part with a brush and pole, that I can reach with my hand, and then brush the liner to try to scrub it off of there. It is holding on tight, and no matter if I pull it or not, there is still some left on the liner or rocks.
I'll wait for a week or so, see how things go with the filter up and running. I know the beneficial bacterial won't kick in yet, as my water was only 48-50 degrees today, but I will put some of the Pond Perfect in and see if that helps as well. I know if the bog was running properly (have to get the pipes pushed back under the pea gravel again ...) that would help as well. Not much is growing yet, but I did see some the plants I got from JW and Addy growing! Want to get the plants from the basement brought up and put in the bog, but that will mean doing a renovation of the bog. Want to change out the pipes (again, I know) and use the PVC. May wait until end of summer to do that, though, just shove the flexible pipe under the pea gravel for now. That way I will know where the plants are and be able to safely remove them and then plant them properly when I do the correct pipe system.
Always something, but I don't mind! I love it, in fact. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
CE the creeping primrose you sent me is starting to make a comeback and I think it's really gonna go crazy this year and that's just fine cuz I love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great, JW. Mine is not growing at all yet, still too cold, I guess. On the farm pond, same thing, not growing yet, so I need to be patient and wait and see. I have some I left in the bog and more in the pool in the waterfall stream. But, I moved that around when I redid the waterfall, so it may not have made it. We shall see. Glad yours is doing well. Oh, and the creeping jenny you gave me, each piece is growing really well, and I'm hoping to be able to split some of it this summer and add it to the edge of the stream! I love that stuff! Other plants in the bog and ground that I got from you and Addy are all coming up or growing. I'm so excited to see how everything develops this summer.

Ask a Question