How to net a fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would never release a fish like he did. I would have removed from the anesthetic bowl and either put it in another bowl of pond water or in the pond and cradled it in my hands and moved it slowly back and forth till it felt like the koi was trying to swim.

rdk

Reaction score
Following the video you use two nets. One a large net with a flat bottom in the water than a koi sock to trap him. Is that right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
right
rdk said:
Following the video you use two nets. One a large net with a flat bottom in the water than a koi sock to trap him. Is that right?

rdk

Reaction score
Dodad Something I wanted to ask you: Is this a two man job.? One person to hold the net and another person with two hands to work the sock net?

Reaction score
two people would certainly benefit you here. The one pair of hands maneuvering the main net, and the other person grabbing it in the second net or bowl.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Watching the video, it looked simple enough for my wife to be of some help. I don't mean that in a bad way, you just have to know my wife. Or should I have said, "so easy even a caveman can do it"?

By the way, outstanding video on how to use the sock.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's either a 2 man job, 2 woman job or a man & woman job.:)
I can do it myself in my 4 x 8 QT.
rdk said:
Dodad Something I wanted to ask you: Is this a two man job.? One person to hold the net and another person with two hands to work the sock net?

Reaction score
oldmarine said:
Watching the video, it looked simple enough for my wife to be of some help. I don't mean that in a bad way, you just have to know my wife. Or should I have said, "so easy even a caveman can do it"?

By the way, outstanding video on how to use the sock.:)

LOL! I can relate! My husband is barely of any help at all when it comes to the fish. He likes looking at 'em, but that's about it. Whenever I ask him to help me he's awkward about it. If they were dogs and he could pet 'em, I think he would be different...but I think he's overwhelmed by fishkeeping. He sometimes shakes his head at my DIY efforts and is like, how the heck do you do that?! He seems mersmerized by the fact that I'm keeping fish alive in a hole...LOL!

Reaction score
my wife hasn't helped with the fish much yet, but in other ways enormously. she has a very gentle touch and will take to the finesse of what has been shown readily.

yes, that Koi sinking like that brought back a very sad memory. When diving in Honduras I came upon a Koi sized grouper. It had been hooked and broken the line. Then the line got caught on the coral so it was trapped. the guide and I cut the line and then tried to remove the hook. The latter was a mistake. We should have just let the fish swim free and take its chances. But we struggled with it and finally gave up. When we let her go she just sank like a rock. Very sad. i felt bad all day.

Hippocrates told his healing students the first most important thing is to do no harm. It's hard to just let things be, but if it means we'll do more harm than good it's best.

Ask a Question