How to prolong the life of a candle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't burn candles anymore either. I'm afraid of the cats knocking them down and starting a fire. I have the battery operated candles you can get from QVC. I really like the ones on timers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Almost every light bulb we have is now led, costco here has them and our electric company pays part of the cost, like a constant sale.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just look at the package see what might work. Some are dimmable some not. I find them to give off a great light and a lot of it. The package usually gives an equivalent rating, which is really close to the light you need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have any LED light bulbs in the house but I do have some lighting my aquariums. I don't find them to be as bright or harsh as the fluorescent.

Instead of burning scented candles I use the warmers that you plug in and then drop a square of candle wax that melts. That way I can still enjoy the scents but don't have to worry about the flames. Funny though if I look around my house I have many jar candles (most have never been burned) because I used to burn them a lot. Seemed I was always buying a new one or getting one as a gift.

I will still light a candle outside in the summer when we sit out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks. By a lot of it do you mean harsh, glaring?
Nope just a nice light, guess you could call it warmish, not as yellow as a warm florescent, not as white as a day light florescent, sort of in between. Plenty of light that is not bothersome. Go to lowes home depot, buy one. Open the package carefully, if you don't like it, they will take it back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree addy we changed all our lights to LED they are far better on the eyes than the other energy savers its a clean light to .
Getting back on track with this thread a moment folks would you believe that the candle we told you about has been burning every night for a week now and we still have around about 3" of candle left .
Vant wait to start the experiment once this has burned down, one candle will b salted the other not then burned for the same amount of time each night till one burns down

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
With LED's pay attention to what reflector they come with.
Different reflectors give a different spread,(for example the angle could be 80 degrees or 55 degrees) so the light can be more focused or more diffused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
With LED's pay attention to what reflector they come with.
Different reflectors give a different spread,(for example the angle could be 80 degrees or 55 degrees) so the light can be more focused or more diffused.
Ok thats something I didnt know Mitch , the main reason we changed over in the first place is I found that the energy saving bulbs strained your eyes .
The ones we use ase made by Osram .
Back on track the candle is still going strong :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our first go with a recessed LED was a complete disaster. Besides being $35 or so the mid-level brightness could have been a light house beacon. This is going to be a very expensive and very trial and error conversion. Hopefully better luck after returning the search light LED.

I believe the answer is Dave's long burning candle. :)
Our osram bulbs where only £9.00 each big lou

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I work in the lighting industry so LEDs are part of my daily grind.

A couple of pointers:
Colour temperature. - The higher the colour temperature, the "bluer" the LEDs - they look colder. But they are also the most efficient. Col temp is measured in Degrees Kelvin -
3000 K = warm - equivalent to tungsten - ideal for domestic use
4000 K = neutral white - generally office lighting
5000 K and higher = too cold for domestic use. Warehouse, street lighting are typical applications.

MitchM mentions beam angle - check what's on the package. A narrow beam angle may produce more light in the centre of the beam but be very dark at higher angles - not good for general lighting.

Quality - there's a lot of poor quality cheap stuff out there. It pays to pay slightly more for a good quality branded product. LEDs are very different to conventional lamps in that they don't generally fail in the sense that they stop working - instead they get dimmer over time. So I've seen poor quality products that look great on day 1, but are down to 50% output after a few months. You won't get your money back - they're still "working".

The manufacturer should declare the equivalent "light bulb" output on the packaging. I've replaced 50W GU10 halogen lamps in my kitchen with 7W LEDs. There are 8 of them, so 400W down to 56W.

If the technical detail is missing from the packaging - it's usually an indicator of a poor quality product and they don't want to declare the facts.

Ask a Question