How to prolong the life of a candle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Many of us use candles , we have one or two large scented ones burning each evening but the problem is they burn down after a number of hours
Weve found a way to prolong the life of candles not by a few hours but perhaps by a few days .
How do you do it I hear you say ?
Well the answer came from a UK detective series called Murder in Paradise and the police detective has been seconded to a Carribean Island which at first he hates, till the magic of the Island finds him falling for his female sargent.
The plot involves a person being Murdered but a burning candle was a problem for the detective beause it was still burning throwing the entire time line of the murfer out and putting the murderer in a place where they have an alibi.
The detctive eventually works out that if you add salt to the candle as it burns then it will prolong its burning time.
Well we thought why not try it , we have and after two days the candle is only part way down (blown out at night), then re-lit each evening and allowed to burn till we retire to bed .
So if you wish to prolong the life of your own candles try adding salt to it (we are using sea salt).
Let us know how you get on with this :happy:

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a neat experiment Dave. I don't do real candles anymore tho for fear my cats will catch their tales on fire. Silly cats walk right next to them and I have no high places for them that the cats can't get to. I like the candles they sell now that are scented and run on batteries. They even have a remote to turn them off and on. No burning cat tails to worry about now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I know we have had Betty up on the table near the candle but I picked her up and put her on the floor and gave her her ball to play with.
I recon this would work on the outsoor candles you could put near the pond.
You must have a cat free room though or are you like us they sleep on the bed :LOL:
If you get the chance to try it though give it a go , we added salt to the candle we have going now three times , I think we may get up to three days with this one .
I like the idea of scented candles that run on batteries but you cant beat the real thing.
We are going to try it out on tea lights next burning in three small pottery houses we got from a friend this Christmas (will report back).

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nothing beats real ones but I got tired of smelling singed cat hair and feared one day I would have a real tail fire. They burn their whiskers off too! Then there is the thing where I forget to blow them out and sometimes they tip over if they melt funny and make a real mess all over the carpet! I'll be sticking w/ the battery ones for my sanity's sake. I still have a little bit left and I'd like to keep it :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont blame you perhaps @callingcolleen1 or @addy1 try it and see how they get on with the experiment , I'd be interested to know if their candles burn at the reduced rate our experimental one does .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting, as I love to burn candles as well. How much salt do you add?
Maggie let the candle burn so you have melted wax then simply pour it over the wax , its up to you how much you use but we sprinkle the candle a few times over the evening , dont pour too much all at once it can cause the flame to go out and in need of lighting again

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dave you should try doing one candle w/o the salt and one w/it and see for sure how much longer the one will last. Maybe try that test on the small candles so you don't waste the bigger ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave you should try doing one candle w/o the salt and one w/it and see for sure how much longer the one will last. Maybe try that test on the small candles so you don't waste the bigger ones.
j.w. thats a brilliant idea we'll get two next time we are out shopping and experiment on the time it takes for each to burn down , I'll get back to you when weve completed the experiment .

Dave

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Many of us use candles , we have one or two large scented ones burning each evening but the problem is they burn down after a number of hours
Weve found a way to prolong the life of candles not by a few hours but perhaps by a few days .
How do you do it I hear you say ?
Well the answer came from a UK detective series called Murder in Paradise...........

Dave

Great solution plus we watch Murder in Paradise each week!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our scented jar candles are put up where Sunny does not wander. Hey Dave, we enjoy watching Murder in Paradise each week. :D
How far are you into the series big Lou we dont want to spoil anything for you :LOL:

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question