How to re-home fingerlings?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
My fish had fry this spring and as cute as they are now, I don't think my pond can support that many fish once they get larger. I'd love to give them to a local ponder who'd take care of them as well as I do but not sure how to get the word out.
I had suggestions for Craigslist, as much as I hate C/L I posted there, started getting txts. @ 1AM, 'how much for the Koi?'
Emails about Koi. Sorry, they're not Koi, which brings me to my true problem. These fish were wild caught from a dwindling creek several years ago and tho I'm not positive of the species I call them Bluegill, they have blue gills. Had we not scooped up a few of these, they surely would have perished a slow death when the creek dried up, they've been great pond fish for me but I believe there are laws about keeping 'game fish' and certainly strict laws against re-planting non-native species. So I don't want to advertise "Bluegill for your pond'. But when they call I would explain. So now I'm thinking going to my local pond shop with a note and pic. Last chance is N.V. department of wildlife to see if there's a body of water they COULD go into, bluegill are not native to this area but there may be some certain ponds around they'd be ok in. Suggestions? pics of mom n dad and the youngens.
013.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you're on the right track about calling F&WL. If they have to be re-homed, as a wild & non-native fish, I would rather see them handle it. If you pass them on to just anyone, they might get tired of them and release when & where they shouldn't go. Plus, I don't have a clue, but would think that F&WL would either QT or treat fish before releasing (but I could be very wrong about that....).

Pretty fish, BTW. Do their colors reflect the sunlight?

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I think you're on the right track about calling F&WL. If they have to be re-homed, as a wild & non-native fish, I would rather see them handle it. If you pass them on to just anyone, they might get tired of them and release when & where they shouldn't go. Plus, I don't have a clue, but would think that F&WL would either QT or treat fish before releasing (but I could be very wrong about that....).

Pretty fish, BTW. Do their colors reflect the sunlight?
Thank you, yes their colors are reflecting light and they get very dark when stressed. If I could be as lucky as you are with the turtle program, I'd be happy. I want to keep a few, I don't know the lifespan of these fish, but to have a new generation share the pond would be perfect.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@peter hillman That's Marshall who has the turtle program. I just have pet turtles, LOL!

I guess the first thing to do would be to correctly ID the fish, since you aren't sure. I love those pretty colors! Is there a gender difference in size or color? How big are yours and do you know what they weigh? What do their mouths look like? (Are they bottom or top feeders?) Etc, etc, etc.,....any characteristic markings or anything else that makes them stand apart? Oh, what do they eat (omnivores vs herbivores vs carnivores)? Are they peaceful?

And no, I'm not "angling" to take them in :nailbiting::p

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go to local garden centers and put up a flyer as people buy pond plants for ponds they look at the board .I know i do here .Farm store also look for fish and that is how i get rid of my frogs and toads and taddies.Those farmers that have pond want things to put in them to cut down on mosquito's

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
@peter hillman That's Marshall who has the turtle program. I just have pet turtles, LOL!

I guess the first thing to do would be to correctly ID the fish, since you aren't sure. I love those pretty colors! Is there a gender difference in size or color? How big are yours and do you know what they weigh? What do their mouths look like? (Are they bottom or top feeders?) Etc, etc, etc.,....any characteristic markings or anything else that makes them stand apart? Oh, what do they eat (omnivores vs herbivores vs carnivores)? Are they peaceful?

And no, I'm not "angling" to take them in :nailbiting::p
OOPS! But really the turtle program seems awesome! I'm a bit afraid fish n game will insist they be destroyed, not sure why, but here all they care about is trout. Brown trout, rainbow trout, ect. Not much diversity in out water bodies round here. Have to drive for hours to get to a bass lake... LOOK you made me figure it out, internet images, the bluegill image looks nothing like mine, while the Sunfish image looks pretty close. Says they love turtles too....:)

Attachments

• BluegillTellicoNegus.jpg
    BluegillTellicoNegus.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 202
  • sunfish_longear_big_piney_down.JPG
    sunfish_longear_big_piney_down.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 013 (2).JPG
    013 (2).JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 191

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@peter hillman One of the things I love about this forum.....is that I learn so much that I never thought I wanted to know :woot: I didn't "make you figure it out," you did that on your own. All I did was guide you in the right direction..... Follow the Force! I, too, Googled "sunfish vs bluegill" and lo & behold, found out that a bluegill is a type of sunfish! LOL! And there are lots of different varieties -- personally, I like the pumpkin seed -- really colorful!

http://www.tnfish.org/FishIdentificationID_TWRA/TWRA_Sunfish_Identification_Key.htm

But, back to your WL&F dept. It wouldn't hurt to check with them, anyway. I often make assumptions and then I'm proven wrong -- not a bad thing. If they take them, then that's good. If they say "no," and "no," to your releasing them, then they are trying to protect the native species -- personally, I would trust their judgement. And if the answer is still "no," then do something like @sissy suggested or euthanize the excess to keep your population under control.

I looked it up, and their average life-span is around 7 years, give or take, and depending on species.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
@peter hillman One of the things I love about this forum.....is that I learn so much that I never thought I wanted to know :woot: I didn't "make you figure it out," you did that on your own. All I did was guide you in the right direction..... Follow the Force! I, too, Googled "sunfish vs bluegill" and lo & behold, found out that a bluegill is a type of sunfish! LOL! And there are lots of different varieties -- personally, I like the pumpkin seed -- really colorful!

http://www.tnfish.org/FishIdentificationID_TWRA/TWRA_Sunfish_Identification_Key.htm

But, back to your WL&F dept. It wouldn't hurt to check with them, anyway. I often make assumptions and then I'm proven wrong -- not a bad thing. If they take them, then that's good. If they say "no," and "no," to your releasing them, then they are trying to protect the native species -- personally, I would trust their judgement. And if the answer is still "no," then do something like @sissy suggested or euthanize the excess to keep your population under control.

I looked it up, and their average life-span is around 7 years, give or take, and depending on species.
Mornin! As of late, been thinking of just letting nature take it's course. I was just reading tbendi's similar post and realize there are already quite a few LESS fish than there was just 4 weeks ago. AND if these species has a 7yr average life span the parents are already retired:D Ya, I think I will let it be and access the situation in a month or so. honestly I would feel better about euthanizing what I feel is necessary myself than letting them go to an unknown fate.
Thank you for your time on this matter, feeling better about it already.:)

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
In my ponding day's I've had Koi, comets, a big albino channel cat fish, frogs, crayfish and a few other things, but these are by far the most interesting fish I've ever kept. I'd be perfectly happy to continue on with this species.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I DID IT!! A guy called my craigslist ad last night and came over this morning and I netted him 5 fingerlings. We talked and talked some more about ponds fish and aquariums, wonderful experience.:):):):):)

Ask a Question