How to transport

Reaction score
Hi,

Going to be transporting my koi to another house and am not sure what kind of plastic bag to use. Seems garage bags would have a coating inside that would not be healthy. TY for any help.

Jan

Reaction score
They will be bagged for around 4 hours. I am planning on using oxygen in the bag just to be safe and placing bag in ice chest . I'm just concerned about what type of bag to transport them in. Yes, pond on other end.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
JanScearce said:
They will be bagged for around 4 hours. I am planning on using oxygen in the bag just to be safe and placing bag in ice chest . I'm just concerned about what type of bag to transport them in. Yes, pond on other end.
Sounds like a good plan. If in doubt about bags get some from a pond store. You have not said how big the fish are.

I do not see anyone saying garbage bags would be bad on the net. If they say anti-mildew or anti-odor or such I would stay away.

Years ago we moved 250 miles with a lot of fish and plants. We de-potted all the plants, washed the dirt off the roots and packed them in plastic totes with a bit of damp peat moss. Most of the fish went into 5 gallon buckets with lids. I do not recall much past that other then.the plants and fish filled a car trailer. The liners went on a truck.

Reaction score
Did you put stress coat in the water with the fish?
HTH said:
Sounds like a good plan. If in doubt about bags get some from a pond store. You have not said how big the fish are.

I do not see anyone saying garbage bags would be bad on the net. If they say anti-mildew or anti-odor or such I would stay away.

Years ago we moved 250 miles with a lot of fish and plants. We de-potted all the plants, washed the dirt off the roots and packed them in plastic totes with a bit of damp peat moss. Most of the fish went into 5 gallon buckets with lids. I do not recall much past that other then.the plants and fish filled a car trailer. The liners went on a truck.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Dave's pond Indiana said:
Did you put stress coat in the water with the fish?
You can if you like we did not.

More important is that you try not to mess up the existing slime coat on the fish when you move them. If the fish are small enough catch them with wet hands instead of a net If too big for hand catching trap them in the net and transfer them to a bag or bucket with as little commotion as possible. Even better if you can make the transfer underwater so the fish is never supported by the net but that is not always possible. Just do the best job you can. We call it fish rodeo.

Always wet your hands prior to touch the fish.

Ask a Question