sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok thats true but what I did is a bucket in a bucket and the holes are offset so I turn the inside bucket so the holes don't match up and I have lines on the inside and outside bucket to show me open or closed and I used a smaller bucket that I can pick up .I guess in a way it's like an outside filter in the pond when it is in the closed position little comes out of them and taking your time pulling them out helps .I put my lava rock in laundry bags inside so easy to pull them out and throw them in a container with some pond water in it to clean them and clean the filter mats .forgot to mention I put 3 flat rocks between the buckets to make it turn ,but found larger marbles work better for that

Reaction score
I tried a bucket in a bucket, but I'm not that strong. A 5 gallon pail full of water is hard for me to carry, so there's no way I can lift it out of a pond. If your pond is small enough for a 5 gallon filter, that bucket takes up a lot of space in the pond.

All the cleaning and the poor performance is a lot to pay to avoid having to put a bucket under a dump valve.

Reaction score
Thing is I can't have a dump valve because it's inside, it will take up a little space but will the catfish is small its in a tote in the pond anyway. I'll probably eventually build it but as long as it handles the ncycle it should work. As for the crud in the filter washing out I can fix that by putting the media in a mesh bag and just pulling that out

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Some folks have added hose to get it to a drain or outside. Swimming pool drain line works great and rolls up out of the way.

Reaction score
I solved the water backwash problem. ill lay it on its sideand have the pump at the bottom with the media on top of it and input holes on the lid so I can just flip up the bucket and pull it out, if its to heavy Ill just bail some water out. The area of it is not an issue while the fish is small, and I can modify the output to a sponge filter. Could the holes be at the top of the bucket with the pump at the bottom. Im afraid they wouldnt suck up the solid waster but I may be wrong.

Reaction score
What would you say would be the smallest possible valve that would work. I may do what DrCase does in the winter with the rubber cap. This is if i go with the trash can filter.

Reaction score
Would this work. I dont like the idea of restricting the input

Attachments

• Final Filter Pad.png
    Final Filter Pad.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 220

Ask a Question