How Would You Filter It?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You will need a larger flush (ball) valve to get a good clean when you open it. Think of it like your toilet. It takes a rapid discharge to get stuff to go down and out.

Reaction score
Problem is I dont have a good place to install a large valve I may just use a shop vac to suck out the crud. I came up with how Im going to install my media grate thing. Im not. Im going to hang a mesh bad around the rim and down. There will be a hole in the middle for the input, then I can just toss bags of media in it. The greens the media bag

Attachments

• media bag.png
    media bag.png
    727 bytes · Views: 182

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since it's not so big it should be easy to clean because you put media in bags.I have mine in laundry bags just pull and flush them out or I have one of those big tubs I fill with some of the pond water swirl it around and clean it .Sometimes I just soak a couple of extra bags of stuff in pond water with some salt and liquid barley and just toss them in and check the old bags to make sure they are fine .I have clean out and sometimes use hose to flush it out and sometimes I use the power washer on with low flow tip on it .It all depends on how I feel like cleaning it that day .Gave myself choices of ways to clean it .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the problem with media bags is that the water can channel around them, allowing it to be less filtered mechanically and some may pass with no bio filtration at all. i started with my media in bags and ended up taking it out.. i havent cleaned my media yet, i do filter flushes, thats all and my media goes between my outdoor pond and my basement pond. so its in use 24/7/365. and its been in use since May 2008.....its all in good filtration design

Reaction score
Thanks, My issue is I cant get light grating and I cant see spending 30 bucks to build a bottom grate thing, I plant to use scrubbies as well as fencing or strapping. I may skip the flush valve and just use a shop vac every couple or weeks to clean it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have checked that light grating around here and you can find some old stock here and there but it is not in good condition .Even the few they have at lowes are damaged

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You are talking about the Doc Filter IE. tubing or fencing.
The fencing just sits on the pvc frame. About $5 to build it plus the fencing.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here are some of the photos from my web page. Simple, efficient and inexpensive.

Attachments

• Filter a Stand.jpg
    Filter a Stand.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Filter e Grate in Place.jpg
    Filter e Grate in Place.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 219
  • Filter f Fencing.jpg
    Filter f Fencing.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
Problem is I cant get the egg crate. I was think a irrigating tube frame like kioguys with a piece of fence across. Ive got bird netting so I wonder if that would work instead.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You don't have a store nearby that sells florescent lighting? This is a standard 2 x 4 grate that can be bought at any HD or Lowes.

Ask a Question