How Would You Filter It?

Reaction score
How much extra work is it? I figured Id get 8 bags with 4 in at a time and after the bacteria builds up on the first 4 replace 1 every week, rinse out the old one a soaking in a bucket. Media of scrubbies would cost about 40 bucks for enough to fill a 20 gallon tub. This will cost about 6 bucks. I pmed koiguy about where he bought his scrubbies, sounded like he got them cheap. Would you suggest not using the sponge type ones. You made some mention of them on your website. And is the only difference between yours and the skippy the media.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
clemsonguy1125 said:
How much extra work is it? I figured Id get 8 bags with 4 in at a time and after the bacteria builds up on the first 4 replace 1 every week, rinse out the old one a soaking in a bucket. Media of scrubbies would cost about 40 bucks for enough to fill a 20 gallon tub. This will cost about 6 bucks. I pmed koiguy about where he bought his scrubbies, sounded like he got them cheap. Would you suggest not using the sponge type ones. You made some mention of them on your website. And is the only difference between yours and the skippy the media.

The Skippy, which the inventors of, claim that the 55 gallon drums don't work. So by definition, there is no such thing as a 55 gallon drum Skippy Filter.

That said, the 55 gallon drum Doc Filter which does not use scrubbies can be built for less than $50 not counting the drum. Many get them free, some pay for them, so I leave them out of the equation.

I have used plastic fencing in mine the past 2 years and the results are commendable. Water is crystal clear, nitrates and nitrites 0 and it takes only seconds to clean it without getting your hands wet.

So judge for yourself what costs more, is more difficult to clean and what works without those inconveiniences.

Reaction score
Thanks, main difference seems to be the medi and container. I really like the doc filter but I can't get clean 55 gallon drums around here. So I'm between a trash can with fencing or strapping and a flower pot and scrubbies, all the decently priced trash cans seem flimsy and immafraid they willmcollapse when filled.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go with rubbermaid commercial quality they are a lot heavier duty .If you can get it so the lid fits tightly it is better as I put an air line hose in my filters .The air pump I bought at petco and was less than 30 dollars and has 4 outlets and is for a fish tank so you have to protect it from weather .I use a flower pot up side down but set it on a 2x6 to let air circulate to the air pump.This way the pot is not setting flat and I use a flat stone on top to weigh it down.Tractor supply and places that sell commercial have heavy duty rubbermaid

Reaction score
Heres th final plan-
Doc style BioFilter
Poultry netting media
Problem is I cant find a container for the life of me.
I need either a 15-20 gallon flower pot or 15-20 gallon barrel, any ideas where to buy one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you tried places like tractor supply or your local paper seems there are selling a lot of them here .says in my paper they where pickle barrels for the food service( heck of a lot of pickles) .I got mine for rain barrels at my local flea market

also do you have the piedmont shopper down there as I know they are in NC they usually have them listed for 5 or 10 dollars they have online paper too

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just make sure it was not used for any type of chemicals and that you clean it well .Use peroxide to clean it as I find that is the best even with what I used and it was new I still cleaned it well

pickles are done with a brine and would seem safe .Thats what 2 of my neighbors used and we soaked them good inside and even out with peroxide and then filled them with salt water to soak too

of course lowes and home depot sell heavy duty ones like brute and heavier rubbermaid ones all the same

just be careful in moving it you do not crack it and clean it too you never know .With my first one I had a small one and doubled it up by cutting the top off and putting the other one inside the cut one safer that way

I used an 18 gallon tote this time on 1 of my filters and still doubled it up and a plantainer for my other filter and doubled that too .You never know and better to be safe than sorry .I guess thats just me thinking the worst could happen and with my luck it would LOL

I find rubbermaid is tough but you could still cut one and put the cut one under the whole one to make sure it does not crack and that way you have double protection .Better to be safe than sorry .

tank adapter if you have a tractor supply near you they have those .

funny I use them to hold plants in and they are 3 years old you can see them here they used to be yellow but remember you will have no top on it and things could fall in them .Have you got a commercial supply store near you they sell heavier duty stuff for offices and factories The pic show them there are 3 of them

Iused 2 spray bars in my other filter this is the pond as I was redoing it and now has 2 filters

I have 2 falls now 1 on the corner at the other end and this one I will grow plants in the top of this filter

Attachments

• winter and pond fish 014.jpg
    winter and pond fish 014.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 265
  • new pond filter working 005.jpg
    new pond filter working 005.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Unfortunatly those trash cans have issues cracking according to another set of reviews. Theres brute trash cans that should work or these might work.

Attachments

• Lowes-20-gallon-blue-tub.jpg
    Lowes-20-gallon-blue-tub.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
I went to clean out the pond and found this brown and white gunk growing on the filter cage, I wonder if I left a dead goldfish in over the winter by accident, would you drain and refill the pond or what.

Ask a Question