sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze your not sure what it is huh .Have you tested the water because if drain and refill all you will be doing is killing all the good bacteria you already have going .I myself would never drain and clean my pond because it would be like starting over and I guess others would agree .Can you just clean the area well

Reaction score
Draining and refilling the pond is fine. The good bacteria (and other organisms that you want to keep) are in the biofilm covering the surfaces of the pond and everything in it. Don't scrub the surfaces, just remove loose gunk.

I don't understand how you can't find 55 gallon barrels. Are there no car washes where you live? Have you searched Craigslist for 55 gallon drums?

Reaction score
Car wash barrels have soap residue and on craigslist the nearest plastic barrels are about 2 hours away. I found a decent 20 gallon trash can on homedepot.com thats in stock so Ill pick it up tomorrow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are any of these close to you?

http://www.ncwastetrader.org/MaterialFullInfo.aspx?ID=2340

Bynum Drums
2517 North Raleigh Street Rocky Mount, NC
Ph1: (252) 446-0927

Custom Drum Services Inc, 2020 Jarrell Street, High Point, NC 27260
(336) 884-1082
55 gal drum ~$15

Shouses Surplus, 3557 Yadkinville Rd, Winston Salem, NC 27106-2534,
Phone: (336) 922-2222
Available from time to time; not sure of price.

http://www.doa.nc.gov/ssp/gen-retailstores.htm

Check out beverage companies like Pepsi etc. or food pkg. plants or restaurants or try freecycle.org

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
anything will work and most change something about there filters before there are any problems .My filters where in this pond for 2 years and I changed them and before that I changed them .Each time going bigger or finding a new idea for filtering the pond that works better .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you can prolly find some heavy duty type trash cans at your big box stores. I know they sell a brand called Brute at Costco online.........not sure if they ever have any at the walk in stores but anyways they are pretty expensive, like $70 plus for a 55gal :bowdown:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats the one I was thinking about too jw I know they are sturdy because a lot of business use them and I have had one for at least 12 years I bought it back in NJ at a store that sells to businesses

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sams carries one that is comparable to Brute and Lowes carries them as well. Contractors use them for remodeling etc to haul all the old drywall, tile etc out of houses so they are pretty sturdy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh I know that as mine got feet and walked away the last time my son was here (he is a contractor) I at least had one hidden in the back shed he didn't find that had grass seed in it .LOL

Reaction score
Picked up a 20 gallon trash can, and built the bulkhead and swirler today. I was told they dont make the plastic light diffuser anymore, anybody know where to get it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the plastic light grid you are talking about and lowes or home depot did not have them thats odd they had them here check online with those stores and do you have any older hardware stores around you they may still have them .I do know that they are being fazzed out

Reaction score
Yeah, the guy said they got replaced with the thin sheet of cloudy plastic, Im currently draining the pond just to be safe. My trash can isnt a brute those were like 20 something bucks but I got a 20 gallon rubber made with good reviews. Seems pretty sturdy and if It wears out Ill buy a brute. It was only like 12 bucks.

Ask a Question