Huge leak found

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
My pond suddenly began to lose 500 gallons over a very short time. Luckily for me, the level stabilized about 8 inches below the normal high point. I enlisted a friend to help me (my titanium knee makes it hard to squat in those positions too long) I quickly found the leak : a former repair job had lost it's patch. The liner was pierced several years ago by a nutria. I managed to find a repair kit at a local fish store and now i am back to normal. (my pond, that is)
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A nutria? You wouldn't happen to live in Louisiana, would you ? :)

Sure hope your repaired repair holds up! Keep us posted on that.

I haven't had a leak [yet], but did have a hose work loose during some heavy winds a few weeks ago. Am fortunate that I was home when it happened AND that I have my pump positioned higher than the lowest point in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
The nutria was brought to Oregon from central America in order to find another source for the fur industry but alas, they spread in the wild throughout the state and are a general nuisance. This hole was punched by one 5 years ago or so and the make shift patch came off. This time I bought the Firestone repair kit.

The pumps I have in the pond are about 18 inches below the surface so they won't drain the pond (2.000 gallons - about) in the event of a leak in a hose. I will post some pictures. There is a 8 foot stream that I added later. The Skippy filter has kept the pond water clean for 10 years.
John

Reaction score
The nutria was brought to Oregon from central America in order to find another source for the fur industry but alas, they spread in the wild throughout the state and are a general nuisance. This hole was punched by one 5 years ago or so and the make shift patch came off. This time I bought the Firestone repair kit.

The pumps I have in the pond are about 18 inches below the surface so they won't drain the pond (2.000 gallons - about) in the event of a leak in a hose. I will post some pictures. There is a 8 foot stream that I added later. The Skippy filter has kept the pond water clean for 10 years.
John

Ask a Question