Hurricane Coming

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Glad you made it back to the modern world, Larkin. I've been working lots of overtime since the storm. The plant powerhouse went down and we've been trying to get everything restarted. I'll try to post some pics Tuesday.
Glad to hear ya'll made it throug as well. I just talked to a friend in Houma and they aren't doing so well. I offered to bring them up here until they can get power and Ins. company contacted and a adjuster out. Their house flooded and lost 40% of the roof. They are staying in a hotel in Lafayette. I'm going to try again tomorrow to see if they will come up here for now. Got to be cheaper coming here and no hotel bill. He wants to be closer to his house but I don't think Lafayette is that much closer to Houma than Lafayette. How bad was the damage to your place, I know ya'll got pounded far harder than we did.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
JW & Addy -- I've heard gators growling (at least that's what it sounds like), but not sure what a "bark" sounds like. Larkin will have to fill us in on that one.

It's so hard to imagine what everyone has gone through, and even the wild critters are adjusting. Hoping things are back to a semblance of normal for all soon.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gators growl when threatened. They bark to call in mates, or when the babies are trying to locate mama. The folks that grow up on the rivers and bayou's here can actually tell you which ones are females and which ones are males, I can tell a really big one from a small one but that's about my limit. I can also tell you a deep bark and then a growl, Don't look to see how big it is, JUST RUN!

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
As my husband and I drove my grandson back to Mississippi today, we saw a band of PIKE utility trucks going in the opposite direction. I am sure they were headed home and had been to the areas hit by Issac. You can't help but feel a sense of pride and respect for them when you think of how hard they work in such dangerous situations. I felt like waving and honking my horn.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Still Hundreds of trucks and crews here in the area, this is the staging area for several communities. Down to under 50,000 statewide without power. Massive improvement over the 600,000 plus that were without Thurs. morning. Yes, a big applause to those that made the trip to help everyone out. Got to give a thumbs up and applause to the National Guard as well. Thoe guys also were a great help to so many!

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
We were without power during a bad ice storm a few years ago that caused many to be without power for many days. I remember cooking beans out on our gas grill that year. Those men worked in such harsh winter weather to restore our power. You don't realize how blessed you are to have electricity until you are without it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As Larkin said, applause [standing ovation] for EVERYONE who helped!

Louisiana historically has a reputation of [how can I say this....] being a state where there is more finger-pointing than finger-lifting. Hubby has family in Mississippi and that state was hit hard by KATRINA & RITA. There was such a difference in attitudes between the states: MS was all about helping, fixing "problems" for the future, & moving on; LA was more about whose fault "it" was and "what can you do for ME." There was lots of good, but that's what I will always remember (sadly).

SO GLAD to see the best side of our beautiful state!!

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Finally, time for an update. Isaac first came ashore at the mouth of the Mississippi river which is about 80 miles Southeast of here. That put us on the West side of the storm which is usually weaker than the East side. Tuesday was uneventful with intermittent rain and North wind increasing to about 30 MPH by nightfall. The power went off at 11 PM with winds gusting to about 60 MPH so we went to bed. The house survived 120 MPH gusts in hurricane Gustav 4 years ago without any significant damage, so sleeping was better than staying up all night worrying. About 5:30 AM a sound like giant flapping wings woke us up. It was the greenhouse plastic film flapping in the wind which i estimate was 80 MPH. The wooden strips that were holding down the plastic were pulled out by the pressure under the plastic. The roof film separated from the peak of the roof. but never pulled away completely. It still looks almost normal but will have to be replaced. After that the wind dissipated. When I got the generator running and the TV on we found out that we were in the eye of the storm. Isaac was not a well formed hurricane. The eye was very large( about 40 miles) and not clear of clouds. There was misty rain and light winds until late Wednesday afternoon when the wind picked up and intermittent showers resumed. By then the storm had diminished to 50-60 MPH. By Thursday the center had moved to the center of the state and the wind was not a problem anymore but the rain showers remained. We had about 10 inches of rain total for three days. The only other damage was a couple of holes made by branches that fell on the old minnow greenhouse that has been remodeled as a seedling nursery. There are two videos of the wind and rain. The second one is very short, but shows a stronger wind gust. The pics are of the deck ponds during the eye of the storm with lots of shredded leaves, but the lilies still blooming. Those ponds are turning black now because of the leaves. There are no Koi or Goldfish in those ponds, only Paradise Gouramis and wild Sailfin Mollies and they seem to be ok for now. I got a call from work on Wednesday night that the power plant had shut down and they were requesting that any available electricians report to work. I went in to work on Thursday afternoon after the power had come on here and the danger was over. We restored power to the plant on Friday. Today was the first day that I worked only an 8 hour day since then.
We were very fortunate that the storm didn't come in 50 miles to the West or it would have been much worse for us. One of the electricians I work with had 18 inches of water in his house and had to be rescued. Both of his vehicles were flooded.

Attachments

• 8-29-12 006.JPG
    8-29-12 006.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 8-29-12 007.JPG
    8-29-12 007.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 8-29-12 008.JPG
    8-29-12 008.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 8-29-12 010.JPG
    8-29-12 010.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 204

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Glad to see no more damage than that. I think you ended up with about twice as many leaves on the deck than we had. When the winds shifted they blew alot away from the deck for us. Had hundreds of pine braches but nothing big. I spent the day cutting the trees that the Ins. company won't do anything about. Ended up with two pick-up truck loads of firewood, and that's just from the branches, haven't even started trying to cut the trunks up yet. One of the oaks that fell measured 106' 4" from root to top. the base of the tree is 5' 10" in diameter. That's NOT the big one! lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know gods pit crew is headed that way they were taking collections up .

Ask a Question