Hyacinth and Plecos

Reaction score
I decided to get a small grow light to supplement our sunshine. I have some test strips, (which I have been told are not always accurate?) Everything tests out good right now except nitrites are a little high. The fish all look really happy and one of the mollies that came from the pet store looking really fat, had babies! They have pretty much disappeared, but maybe 1 or 2 are hiding in the hyacinth roots.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
He's come out from hiding and he's soooo cute. He was on a column of a decor and when I went to look at him, he squiggled over to the other side so I couldn't see him, and when I moved, he shifted too. He didn't just shift, he wiggled over in the way that young dogs or cats do. I've just decided to name him Baby.
bettasngoldfish said:
I have "lost" young bn's too. I have found that they do much better for me if I put them in a small tank until they have a chance to grow before putting them into a larger tank.

They do like to hide so maybe check under any ornaments you may have in your tank.

Reaction score
In another forum, I've read that I can let the water hyacinths just die back and let the roots sink. I'm in Zone 7 and the crazy things are still blooming! Well, they actually did last week, probably the last till Spring, I would think! But I've not had any hyacinths for several years and don't remember what I did when I last had them! "A mind (and its memory) are a terrible thing to lose!" :bye2:

I cut back the hardy lilies as the leaves turn yellow until there is nothing left put the tubers in the pots. The pots are well below the surface (~12 inches) and we seldom get more than one thin ice layer and even then it's gone within 48 hours or less.

The only other plant is an iris that never bloomed for the last six years until this Spring! It has always just been sitting in a pot out on the ground, must be tough little thing! But this year, some ants decided to build a nest in the pot! Their aeration reinvigorated it and I took out and slit it between two pots. I put one in the pond with its soil top about the same level as the water. The other one is still sitting on the garden surface. So far, I can't tell either one is doing better than the other! At least they both look healthy and maintained good foliage. I know they can survive even in the cold but I plan on lowering the pot in the water to the bottom of the pond. It should stay warmer than the dry pot during the Winter. There must be one way that's better for this plant? The blooms are absolutely beautiful! :) Maybe Spring will reveal the secret! :rolleyes:

Ask a Question