Hyacinths dying help me try to understand

Reaction score
If you are taking the plants out of the pond to fertilize them, any general purpose fertilizer will work. Try to find one with 'chelated iron' among the ingredients. You mention that you use Laguna sticks in your lillies; Laguna also sells a liquid fertilizer ( item # PT866 ) that would be ideal for your situation. You can even add it to the pond, but of course you will need more!
John

cheers for the info, ok I def. look into the fertilisers with 'chelated iron', also I recently bought http://www.tetra-service.net/tetra/...seite=6&group_id=1112&group_2_id=23&lang_id=2 this should work a bit as well :) but will def. look into the fertilisation off the pond for the floating plants.

I think it's the extremely clean pond that is causing the lack of nutrients I'm saying this because before this the pond was quite dirty with a very undersized filter system and we didn't like the looks of it, so in September I installed a OASE filter system with auto cleaning and it even came with a bottle of bacteria to start the filter, no complains about it it's an amazing filter I started the pond from scratch and there is no algae at all well just the normal bit of algae...

Reaction score
I'd bet the fish are nibbling the roots. I could never grow WH but when I moved one of the half dead plants to a separate tank the plant took off. Also, I've read this same issue many times in ponds but have never heard of the problem when WH were in a veggie filter away from fish.

might be that as well, but I had the exact same fish on my last setup and the plants were all fine, still might to some sort of floating pot with a net to maintain water lettuce :p since water lettuce was the one I never ever could maintain because my koi fish eat it all ahha

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep water plants in my filters with no problems but learned the hard way and sure don't want anyone to learn that way .It was the scariest couple of weeks i had after putting that liquid stuff in my pond and then trying to get rid of all that algae and that took almost 3 months to get it under control .It is great for on the side fertilizing but miracle grow is lots cheaper than the so called pond fertilizers .I go the cheap side . :razz:

Reaction score
Now Im hoping I can find those 2 things around here... ahahah will def. let you all know on Sunday, might be getting some new marginal plants as well so the clay would be so nice to plant them. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

I used pool noodles but you could use something black .I used cheap left over window screening to keep the fish away .The fiberglass kind of screening

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use pond hose that is black and you can make it any size you want

Reaction score
PmRg - if you buy kitty liter, make sure you get litter that is pure clay, no additives and the old fashioned kind. Not clumping. And test it before you put it into your pond. Kitty litter is the best way to go for economics, or if you are doing out of pond planting. What I don't care so much about the kitty litter is how fast it breaks down. I have a small pond, and it is not very practical for me to get into the pond to get to the lily pots. So I like to use something that will last a bit longer, and I only have 3 lily pots. I have been using Turface MVP. It is a clay product used on ball fields and golf courses (sports grass fields). There is also clay products you can get like Aliflor that is used in the orchid industry or aquaponics.

Reaction score
might be that as well, but I had the exact same fish on my last setup and the plants were all fine, still might to some sort of floating pot with a net to maintain water lettuce :p since water lettuce was the one I never ever could maintain because my koi fish eat it all ahha
It does seem to be hit and miss. Sometimes they eat the roots, sometimes they don't. You can check the roots. If short and mostly black it means the fish are eating the new growth as it appears. WH should have whitish purplish lush looking roots. Plants not getting enough nutrients produce more roots and would be the last thing to die back.

But I know most people prefer to believe the lack of nutrients thing. Not sure why. Ponds have tons of nutrients.

You can also do a pretty quick test. Take a bucket of pond water and place one plant in there. Give it maybe 2-7 days to see if new roots appear.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have no choice as aggie and bert tip over the other rings and release the treat . :razz: and i get the mess they left

Reaction score
I make these for floaters like lettuce and hyacinths.... they seem to like being packed together. my hyacinths hit heights up to 2' tall. and are lush green all season. with long, fiberous, black roots.
http://www.gardenpon...-planter-rings/
once the ring is full it disappears..unlike the swimming noodles!

I will def. do this how deep is the "cylinder" ??

gardengimp Aliflor and Turface MVP whats the granulate size?

Aliflor-Small-600.jpg

Is it like this?

Thanks a lot for all your help really appreciate.

Regards,
Pedro

Reaction score
It does seem to be hit and miss. Sometimes they eat the roots, sometimes they don't. You can check the roots. If short and mostly black it means the fish are eating the new growth as it appears. WH should have whitish purplish lush looking roots. Plants not getting enough nutrients produce more roots and would be the last thing to die back.

But I know most people prefer to believe the lack of nutrients thing. Not sure why. Ponds have tons of nutrients.

You can also do a pretty quick test. Take a bucket of pond water and place one plant in there. Give it maybe 2-7 days to see if new roots appear.

thanks will do that to recover my current ones and then use koiguy1969 method :D I think the problem could be the fish eating the roots.

Ask a Question