Hyacinths dying help me try to understand

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i plant in pea gravel and river rock myself...so the plants can draw nutrients directly from the pond's water rather than using media like clay and the like... no need to fertilize this way. and theyre much more effective at maintaining a healthy pond. fertilizing your plants can even leech more nutrients into the pond water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use pea gravel ,crushed oyster shells ,kitty litter or what ever . :razz: even lava rock

Reaction score
Hello,

Ok Im back home and today I went to a local hardware store to check for supplies ahah so I could not find any suitable types of clay to use just this:

Expanded clay!?

20121202_132951.jpg

Fertilizers to do the Hyacinths bath ahah

20121202_130012.jpg

20121202_130059.jpg

20121202_130136.jpg

this is what I found, sorry about the language difference but I think you all can check the chemical symbols?

which one is the best?

Regards,
Pedro

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never heard of that clay stone but sounds like it could work as long as it states it is safe for pond plants or something similar .Looks like volcanic rock to me .We get lava rock here but it is red and not really lava rock .The fertilizer looks like it is for acid loving plants I use that on my camelias and azalias .Since you will be using it out side the pond it will not harm anything any ways .The kind I get is all purpose

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get pure clay kitty litter at any pet stores or grocery stores most times .Just look for any fertilizer that says all purpose .I have never tried the azalea food on my pond plants so not sure .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The fired clay pellets are good for any pond plants, and since they do not contain any fertilizer, the plants have to get their food from the water. This in turm promotes strong root growth. We get something similar here, except that it is made from terracotta clay, and so it is red. Both look the same otherwise. Any of the fertilizers should be OK.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had the terracotta clay balls haro and guessing since i use some salt in my pond that it caused them to turn white and start to break apart .I used the clay balls on some of my house plants .They work great .My pond plants did not like the acidic plant food they just wilted up .I did use the lava rock ,real and the fake stuff they sell here in the U.S.

Reaction score
I finally remembered the picture of the Turface MVP.

IMG_3245.JPG

I really like Aliflor, but it is a bit expensive. It lasts forever in my orchid pots. Have some in one small pot in the pond and it is holding up fine.

Aliflor: expanded clay ( Ceramic ) pellets.Neutral pH., long lasting, provide excellent aeration. Can be used alone or in any mix.

The cories seem to like rutting around in the turface more so than the cat litter, and the lily planted in turface is doing much better than the others, though who knows if its the turface or something else.

Ask a Question