Hydra....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, here's one I haven't run across in discussions before -- HYDRA! I am keeping 2 small aquariums to grow scuds (yummy, live fish food). I was just checking on the little scud critters and feeding them some green beans, when I noticed about 1/2 dozen or so hydras stuck on the glass.

I read a little about hydras. Apparently they feed on small inverts, fry, & small fish.

If I feed the scuds from this tank to my goldfish, is there a danger to the fish in case any hydra get into the tank with them? And is there a danger if the hydra end up in the pond?

And where the heck did they come from?

image.jpg

Got this pic off Google.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have no idea but its the strangest looking thing...

also i looked up pics and half of them are this...
th

so you might want to get rid of them before the transformation ;)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What are scuds and what kind of hydra is it? Do you have a wiki link or something?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If I feed the scuds from this tank to my goldfish, is there a danger to the fish in case any hydra get into the tank with them? And is there a danger if the hydra end up in the pond?

And where the heck did they come from?

Yes, they could harm smaller fish and babies. Yes, you could wind up introducing them into your pond.
They would have come in from an addition you made to your critter tank.
Where did you get the initial scuds from?

You could get some fish that feed on them, or clean the tank out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The scuds came from my pond. Therefore, the hydra (hydras, plural?) came from the pond. I haven't added any new scuds to my indoor "scud hatchery" since last summer, but the hydra are just NOW showing up.

I don't overfeed the scuds -- I read that hydra respond to over-feeding situations. Since my fish tank is for goldfish, would it be OK to add something like Gouramis to it? Of course, they would probably eat the scuds, too, right?

So back to the pond.... I'm sure there will be fry at some point. In a 3000 gal. pond, am I really looking at a problem?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

I don't overfeed the scuds -- I read that hydra respond to over-feeding situations. Since my fish tank is for goldfish, would it be OK to add something like Gouramis to it? Of course, they would probably eat the scuds, too, right?

So back to the pond.... I'm sure there will be fry at some point. In a 3000 gal. pond, am I really looking at a problem?

I think you're ok then.
The goldfish may eat the hydras anyways.
The gouramis would probably eat the scuds, yes.
I would just watch and enjoy the hydras.:)
If they get out of hand in the scud tank, then you can intervene if you wish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Guessing I can't download video files .... I made a short vid of some of the scuds, as well as one of a couple of the hydra. Honestly, looking at the video, the scuds are creepy looking little guys, but the fish love to eat 'em :)

Here is one pic I took of 2 hydra that are/were attached to the small filter I have in the scud tank. As much as I don't want them to eat my scuds, I'd almost like to watch them at least once. The description of the process sounds interesting -- like watching a nature show!
image.jpg

Thinking that tomorrow is going to be "get rid of the hydras without losing any scuds" day, LOL!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, I've made my decision! I'm not going to continue raising scuds. I'm going to salvage as many scuds as I can, then release them back into the pond. And hopefully NOT taking the "hydra colony" with them1

It was kinda fun raising the critters [the scuds], and the indoor goldfish LOVED their treats, but the idea that any of the hydra could colonize in my indoor FISH tank is NOT something I want to have to worry about!

Ask a Question