I am new at this Pond Building!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
:cool: Welcome aboard! :lol:
Make sure and give your fish plenty of places to hide, That shallow water could be a disaster waiting to happen if a predator finds that pond. 1' of water is a open invitation to almost every pond predator known.

Reaction score
The 1' part (the shallow seperate end) is strickly for additional rocks and plants and part of the waterfall for added filtration. My main body of water is 1 1/2 to 3' I am adding more rocks and plants to it as time and money allows. Plus I have two large dogs outside to help keep'em away..
Dave

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Don't count on the dogs, If they know you don't want them you might get lucky. I have a male lab the loves to hunt and a smaller female that runs from anything loud, guns, fireworks and thunder totally freak her out but she will grab any bird she see's. The heron and owl came in and got most of my fish and the dogs didn't know it was even there. My Big male lab finally caught on what I was chasing off and he took care of business, AFTER almost all my fish had been eaten.

Reaction score
Thanks...I thought I had all bases covered??? If all else fails, I'll post my wife out there...LOL I know that will work...well.... maybe...I'll see what happens..

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
what ever you do don't waste your money on one of those fake herons. Supposedly they won't stop if there is a heron already there, well, long story short, I think they attract them! Now if your wife is like mine, tell her she gets a new pair of shoes for every heron she catches, You'll get somewhere with that! lol

Reaction score
Thats funny..I can see her now..lol

I know about the Herons, I do photography on the side..love wildlife..I have caught Herons moving in on each others spot and fight some..the loser moves on.....the fake one might look ok for landscaping, nothing else...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
dlester, Welcome to the forum. I like your comets. They are really nice. I couldn't tell if the darker one in the background was a shubukin or koi.

Ask a Question