I have 13 full grown Koi Fish in a temporary 1,000 intex pool - HELP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Salt helps with nitrite, not nitrate and it's up to you if you want to use it or not. If you keep using Prime, you don't need the salt.

If you do use salt, the only way to get rid of it is with water changes. You are already doing that, but if you want to keep salt at a certain level, you would need to keep topping up the salt with every water change. And once the nitrite is gone you will have to keep doing water changes to get rid of the salt.

Maybe that's not a problem for you and everyone has their own way of doing things. But using salt is not done as much as it was in the past. Your fish are fresh water fish. They don't need salt. There are other ways to deal with problems like nitrite.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Salt helps with nitrite, not nitrate and it's up to you if you want to use it or not. If you keep using Prime, you don't need the salt.

If you do use salt, the only way to get rid of it is with water changes. You are already doing that, but if you want to keep salt at a certain level, you would need to keep topping up the salt with every water change. And once the nitrite is gone you will have to keep doing water changes to get rid of the salt.

Maybe that's not a problem for you and everyone has their own way of doing things. But using salt is not done as much as it was in the past. Your fish are fresh water fish. They don't need salt. There are other ways to deal with problems like nitrite.
Ok I understand more now. I was advised to use it to aid in the healing of the fish with a face cut. But I'm thinking I'll do a PP dip maybe instead. It's not an ulcer but would that be a good idea? I want to prevent infection. I could probably not him and just spray peroxide on it and try to drip iodine on it. I'd like to not have to sedate him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my fish get cuts and scrapes constantly , from breeding or feeding. i do nothing but keep an eye on it if it starts to worsen then i'll act . One fish i call scar face. he has a new cut at least once a month or more and he heals fine every time. IF YOUR POND IS HEALTHY THEY SHOULD BE FINE.

Reaction score
Country
United States
my fish get cuts and scrapes constantly , from breeding or feeding. i do nothing but keep an eye on it if it starts to worsen then i'll act . One fish i call scar face. he has a new cut at least once a month or more and he heals fine every time. IF YOUR POND IS HEALTHY THEY SHOULD BE FINE.
Thank you so much. I watched your masterclass on your pond edging. Wow! What state are you in?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you, I'm in Connecticut

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
I hope they survived.

My most disastrous events with pond fish was when I had to house them in temporary holding ponds during a pond repair.

The summer heat would get to them before I could finish the project ... it was heartbreaking.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
2 cats welcome 1.gif
@Guestie
Sorry that happened to you and the fish :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
Thank you, truly.

Good thoughts to you and your magnificent koi.

My ponds have been too small for koi ... but, I admire their splendor from afar.

~G.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My goldfish will come up when they figure out its feeding time. but by that time 75% of the food is already gone. Koi are certainly more work than are gold fish and they don't need a 1/3 the food a koi does. Koi need lots and lots of filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Salt will not help with ammonia. It only helps with nitrite which you don't yet have. When the nitrites show up, you can use salt if you want to.

Prime binds ammonia and nitrite. So if you choose not to use salt, be sure to keep up the every other day regimen with Prime. You should be doing that anyway, for the ammonia.

If someone is telling you that salt will help with your ammonia problem, they are mistaken. Look it up if you have doubts.

Keep up the water changes, even doing them everyday if necessary and keep using Prime.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
important check the difference in water temperature that you are adding . I know my well water is at 55 degrees . Well is over 400 feet deep so water in pond when tested is usually around 65 to 70 this time of the year and my pond is in full sun most of the day . Only ime it is shaded is in the morning until 9 am . Now that time change has gone into effect it is sooner but sun goes down at around 6 pm

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I add new water to my pond I like to have the hose up high where the water is coming from so as to oxygenate that down under deep well water by splashing and disturbing the pond water. I've heard this helps.

Ask a Question