I have baby fish

Reaction score
I probably have 20-25 babies in the small pond now. They're so cool :)
A couple even have orange on the side of their heads :) still not much bigger than 1/4 inch Yesterday I found a baby leopard frog hiding in a plant pot, so had to move him to the big pond, idk if he would eat the fry or not but not taking any chances. He was cute though, had a white spotted belly and a real pointed nose, I've never seen that type around before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Cool Fishy, I think I may end up with about that many as well. A couple of mine are white, some are still dark grey some look like they are getting flecks of orange. Its fun waiting to see what color they will be. My males are all long finned but not sure if any of the babies will have long fins or not.

Reaction score
Not to hyjack your thread but I came here to say the same thing. Last night we saw three baby koi swimming in and out of the stalks/roots of one of the large plants we have. There could be more in there but we only saw three. They are about 3/4" long but really thin. All three are orange like a cream color orange. I was watching them nibble at the algea.

Pretty cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not to hyjack your thread but I came here to say the same thing. Last night we saw three baby koi swimming in and out of the stalks/roots of one of the large plants we have. There could be more in there but we only saw three. They are about 3/4" long but really thin. All three are orange like a cream color orange. I was watching them nibble at the algea.

Pretty cool!
Yes it is pretty cool. They really do grow quickly. I have watched some eyelash size to now maybe 1 1/2'. Little algea eating machines they are.
Have no idea how many are in the pond. I know I rescued about 9 out of the skippy when I drained it. They either took a ride there when little or were sucked up as eggs and hatched there. Threw them in my extra stock tank and I cannot see all nine in there. I have a pump in there which I didnt think about when I put them in there so I might of lost a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not seeing much color on most of my fry. I have a couple white ones and they are showing some orange around their heads. But most of them are various shades of grey. More like minnows. Some of them are 1 1/2 inches. Should they be showing more color by now or am I going to have many babies that look more like minnows? Last years fry was also a dark grey for awhile but I cannot remember how long it took before he started to color up. He is mostly orange now.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The nearest Petsmart is an hour away from me. :(
I've driven an hour with my fish plenty of times, it really isn't that hard. Especially if you are buying from Petsmart, because they usually inflate the bags with oxygen after they fill it. I have never lost a fish during transport, and the closest place i can even possibly buy them is from an Earl May 45 minutes away. Unless you are buying full-grown 6" subunkins or something, there's really no reason to be super nervous about transporting some small fish an hour's distance. Just get your butt to moving back home right after you purchase them :woot:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
More of the babies are starting to color up now. Funny how some have color at a small size and some of the babies that are 1 1/2 inches or so are just now starting to show some signs of orange. :) Will try to get some pics when I can. I don't know how many I have for sure but I'd say somewhere around 20.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Babies are growing. Some are still dark colored and some have turned all orange. I also have some that are colorful white and orange in different patterns. Some are sure to change yet. I'm still not sure how many babies I have. Best guess is 20 to 25. I drained my skippy last weekend and guess what, I found 2 more fish in there that were about 2 1/2 inches long! Good grief. Their size surprised me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those little eggs, tiny fry seem to get everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yes Addy, I found about 9 smaller fry the last time I cleaned out my skippy. Next year I better think about some spawning mops or I might be over run with fish. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do nothing to stop them from spawning, but also do nothing to encourage the survival of the eggs/fry. The strongest make it ow nature takes over.

Ask a Question