I have baby fish

Discussion in 'Spawning' started by haver79, May 31, 2014.

1. haver79

ZmanArt007 Fish Keeper and Filmmaker

I've driven an hour with my fish plenty of times, it really isn't that hard. Especially if you are buying from Petsmart, because they usually inflate the bags with oxygen after they fill it. I have never lost a fish during transport, and the closest place i can even possibly buy them is from an Earl May 45 minutes away. Unless you are buying full-grown 6" subunkins or something, there's really no reason to be super nervous about transporting some small fish an hour's distance. Just get your butt to moving back home right after you purchase them :woot:

ZmanArt007, Jul 3, 2014
    haver79 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. haver79

haver79

More of the babies are starting to color up now. Funny how some have color at a small size and some of the babies that are 1 1/2 inches or so are just now starting to show some signs of orange. :) Will try to get some pics when I can. I don't know how many I have for sure but I'd say somewhere around 20.

haver79, Jul 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. haver79

haver79

Babies are growing. Some are still dark colored and some have turned all orange. I also have some that are colorful white and orange in different patterns. Some are sure to change yet. I'm still not sure how many babies I have. Best guess is 20 to 25. I drained my skippy last weekend and guess what, I found 2 more fish in there that were about 2 1/2 inches long! Good grief. Their size surprised me.

haver79, Aug 9, 2014
    Nepen and Mmathis like this.
  4. haver79

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Those little eggs, tiny fry seem to get everywhere.

addy1, Aug 9, 2014
  5. haver79

haver79

Yes Addy, I found about 9 smaller fry the last time I cleaned out my skippy. Next year I better think about some spawning mops or I might be over run with fish. :)

haver79, Aug 9, 2014
  6. haver79

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I do nothing to stop them from spawning, but also do nothing to encourage the survival of the eggs/fry. The strongest make it ow nature takes over.

addy1, Aug 9, 2014
    haver79 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question