water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2 unplanned kois said:
Oh no. I thought it was the oxygenating plants. I smell sulphur. I just got the pond professionally cleaned and they put in a brand new filter.

If he just got the pond cleaned, and even professionally, unless they really scammed him there should not be a anaerobic bacteria issue. And a new filter. He might have to go through the new pond syndrome.

Unless they just stirred up a lot of yuck and didn't really clean it out.

Glad you got all the plants.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I did not think to use dechlorinator. I definitely am not on well water.
Good news! I just go back from the house ( I move in next week ) and it did not have a foul smell. Could it have been just an adjustment period from adding plants? It was a pretty warm humid day the day I smelled the odor. Now I just hope the water clears up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will, how did they clean the pond, empty and power wash, or just suck out the muck leaving the side algae etc alone? If they did an empty power wash type cleaning, you now have a new pond and it will need to cycle.

The new filter will need to grow the good bacteria so you will be going through the stages of murky, green water as things settle.

Maybe the smell was the waste water they pulled out of the pond and watered the grass or plants with.

Reaction score
addy they emptied the pond and power washed it. There was still a little green on the bottom but they said it is good to leave some of the bacteria. Is this true? Thanks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2 unplanned kois said:
addy they emptied the pond and power washed it. There was still a little green on the bottom but they said it is good to leave some of the bacteria. Is this true? Thanks.

They left a little of the algae on the bottom, that will help with your pond cycle. It will probably go through a new pond cycle again.

I would try not to power wash it again, it makes your pond start over. But sounds like it needed cleaning.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well anywhere from 4-8 weeks. Add some beneficial bacteria to give your new filter a jump start that will help. Patience and time is the best.

Reaction score
Thanks Addy. Is that something I can buy in a garden center? Is it in a bottle or a plant? When I think of beneficial bacteria I think of Activia yogurt! Lol.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2 unplanned kois said:
Thanks Addy. Is that something I can buy in a garden center? Is it in a bottle or a plant? When I think of beneficial bacteria I think of Activia yogurt! Lol.

lmao...........petsmart, even seen some at home depot. I have not used, others might chime in as to the best kind to buy. I know a post in here somewhere named a type to buy at petsmart.

Reaction score
I have some plants to offer. Arrowhead Saggitarius, squirrel tails, and duckweed.
Email me at (e-mail address removed) to arrange to get some
Jack

Ask a Question