I have no plants.

Reaction score
I just bought a house with a 90 gallon pond. It was like pea soup! I just got it cleaned and I know I need pants or it will turn green again. I have read I need marginal, oxygenating and deep water plants. My pond is just a concrete bowl. I live in Maryland, zone 7. Can anyone recommend some easy plants I can add? Thanks so much!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Water lettuce, Hyacinth, hardy water lilies, parrots feather, 4 leaf clover, floating hearts, mini cat tails, Anacharis, and many more. Ebay has plants, and some trade back and forth here if they have extras
ththgrillsmile1.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any filter going? or just sitting water. How about a air stone running.

Reaction score
Thank you so much!!! That is just what I needed, names! My pond guy said I needed at least 6 plants but 12 would be ideal. It was going to be quite costly if I got them from him. Do you make your own baskets or do they come contained? The guy was telling me the fish will try to break them up and it will make the water murky.

Yes, I have a waterfall, filter and pump. Should I get an air stone too?

Reaction score
My pond has plants!!! Lots!! :lol:. Wow, what a difference it has made. The pond looks beautiful! I got Hyacinth, grasses, foxtail, Forget-me-nots, clover, water lillies, parrots feather, a garlic plant and an iris.
The fish actually seem happier and they have not touched their koi food. It's a little murky, which I read is to be expected. The only thing I was not expecting was the smell!! :regular_waving_emot. I hope that goes away.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmm, the smell? If it smells bad that could mean a problem. Maybe the filter is full of gunk and needs cleaning. Your pond should not smell bad. How does it smell?

Reaction score
Oh no. I thought it was the oxygenating plants. I smell sulphur. I just got the pond professionally cleaned and they put in a brand new filter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sulpher, like rotting eggs smell? Could be the water coming out the hose smelling like that. Maybe it will dissipate hopefully :twisted:
When we moved into our new house the water smelled like that for awhile but now it has no smell. I think it was cuz it was a new well or something :twisted:
Maybe someone else knows more about it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the smell of rotten eggs is hydrogen sulphide...this is an indicator of high volumes of anaerobic bacteria.its likely that there is an excess of fish waste, dead plant matter,etc...built up in the bottom of the pond. cleaning out the gunk from the bottom of the pond slowly with a net whereas not to stir up the excess muck and get it suspended in the water is one step you'll want to do. cleaning the filter(s) may be another. and some aeration. that said anaerobic bactreria thrives in a low to no oxygen enviroment.and the hydrogen sulphide is a byproduct of its breaking down organic matter. a few small water changes will help too...say 10% every other day..use dechlorinator.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
koiguy could it be in the well water like I explained having a new well in our home yrs ago?
If not what causes the smell from drinking water to be like that?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well anyways it wasn't very strong in our well water and went away pretty quick and now we have really good tasting water.
2 unplanned kois check your pond bottom for gunk and your filter also cuz sometimes it can build up quite fast if you have fish in there and they are not eating the food as it can rot and make a bad smell too. If that's not it then smell the water coming from your hose.............just make sure you don't snort it up your nose cuz that can cause a real zinging reaction :twisted:

Ask a Question