I must be crazy...building 2nd pond 2 months after my first

Reaction score
More progress today. Liner is in, Friend helped me as this liner weigh a lot.

Pic of liner installed
DSC02775.jpg

pic of the mound I need to shape and move back a few feet. Planning on water fall and stream into the main pond.
DSC02776.jpg

Video of how the 2 ponds will look beside each other
[ame]

Happy with progress but fall is coming fast.

Reaction score
Final measurements put's it at 2500 Gallons. Have a 2500Gph pump which should be ok but may put another pump in for circulation with jet nozzle to get debris in the bottom.

Went with a 3 tier layout with marginal’s across the back shelf, lilies and maybe lotus on the next tier and the deep tier for pre-filter to collect stuff. Final depth is about 51" deep.

Reaction score
Filling with water as I type this. The kids wanted to swim in this pond which shouldn't be a problem at 51" deep. Working on the filter setup and water fall plans now and have pump circulating water.

Neighbour thought I was putting in a hot tub (at 2500 Gallons!!)

Reminds me to go check the water level now!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Where is the 6" margin you advised Holg on. Looks like you have 18" to 24" as I advised.

You are doing yours the smart way. Please be careful when you give advice that you do not follow.

Reaction score
Never said I had 6" margin just that it should be fine since it's a perfect square. My hole in the ground is a perfect square. My other pond has 4" on one side and 12" on the other (put the liner in badly) no issues with some rocks on top.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
newday3000 said:
Never said I had 6" margin just that it should be fine since it's a perfect square. My hole in the ground is a perfect square. My other pond has 4" on one side and 12" on the other (put the liner in badly) no issues with some rocks on top.

Now you are twisting what you said to Holg. You told him that 6" was fine as a safety margin for his liner before he filled with water.

I suggest you keep your advice to informed and intelligent information. Yours clearly had a lot more tolerance that you told him he could have. It is not your money, time or effort going into his pond. If you are going to give advice on this Forum, I advise you to be informed, intelligent with your responses and considerate of people who you are advising.

My advice to him or anyone else is to leave a more liner than you feel comfortable with and you will not be dissappointed.

You have no business advising people with no experience to back it up... If you want credibilty, respond on posts where you have experience. Right now you have little.

Reaction score
not sure what this has to do with this thread. but I'm providing opinion (which I believe is allowed on this forum), and it hasn't changed, I don't see any issue with 6" overlap on a wooden framed above ground pond. The ability to lower the height easily makes it risk free. It's not so easy to change the height on a hand dug pond.

The stated objective was use a 15x15 liner that was cheap. Post even said height could be 2-3' high and 8'x8' at 3' it's 6 inches at 2' it's 1' 6" Where is the risk? I don't see it.

"Quick question, if I want to make it 8'x8'x2-3' would a 15'x15' liner be big enough just for enough overlap at the top to staple and add a board for finishing. There are some cheap Firestone liners on ebay."

I have no issue discussing it but not in this thread if you don't mind.

Ask a Question