I need help and suggestions!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
MGEEZ.
well why run it if the water is clear if thats what your after...like i said i run mine 10 days tops...try doing as i do clear the water, and run it 5 days longer for good measure. i actually disconnect mine clean it and put it away....why spend the money on electricity and replacing bulbs..Ive got 4 years on my original bulb. i have 2 new ones here still unopened. they'll last me another 10 years at this rate..

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
MGEEZ.
well why run it if the water is clear if thats what your after...like i said i run mine 10 days tops...try doing as i do clear the water, and run it 5 days longer for good measure. i actually disconnect mine clean it and put it away....why spend the money on electricity and replacing bulbs..Ive got 4 years on my original bulb. i have 2 new ones here still unopened. they'll last me another 10 years at this rate..

My thoughts, exactly!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i would leave it plumbed in the first year...just in case....

Yes, it is very well protected from any elements under my deck. In fact, as easy as it is to remove the quartz sleeves and lamps, I might just let the "body" in the piping over the winter and bring the "guts" inside.
mark

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mgeez, it sounds like your pond was new last year, I don't know what kind of fish load you have, it is possible that the pond did not have enough fish poo nutrients to grow the plants well. Algae seems to grow no matter what plants are more fussy. Also my well is acidic, I have to buffer it up for the plants sake and the fish. Now that you are in your second year, I bet the plants do better.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Mgeez, it sounds like your pond was new last year, I don't know what kind of fish load you have, it is possible that the pond did not have enough fish poo nutrients to grow the plants well. Algae seems to grow no matter what plants are more fussy. Also my well is acidic, I have to buffer it up for the plants sake and the fish. Now that you are in your second year, I bet the plants do better.
I was assuming I had too many fish. I will estimate the number of fish to total maybe 250".
Mark

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Approximate 1 inch per 100 gallons, with other factors to be considered too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats a lot of fishy mouths begging and not sure I would not feel guilty not paying attention to them all .And my poor chihuahua would be barked out and exhausted try to keep up with all of them .wow how big are they and do you have any pics of your pond and fish and you said you had a green house too .When do you get the time .I thought I kept busy ,you sure outdo me

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
by the measure of 1" per 100 gals i need to get rid of all but 1 of my fish... i currently have up near 200" in 800 gals. 20 from last years spawn 4"- 6", an 17" pieco, and 5 koi 15" - 18"

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OPPPPPPPPPPPPPS senior moment, 6 inches of fish per 100 gallons is what some say, but you also need to factor in filtration, flow etc.

Thanks koiguy for catching my goof

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh deer there she go's already using it .I was getting worried there for a minute because I have about 15 fish now and few new ones ,that will be going to a new home

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol sissy I am at least not worried about being overstocked, 8 inches of fish in, counting the bog around 11k gallons lol, not even counting the stream and other ponds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh think I may sneak over to your house and drop about 10 babies in your pond ,maybe you won't notice lol I'm going up to NJ just pass by and dump them

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Goldies only sissy............come on by .............. or shubunkins But my water is still 43 degrees

Ask a Question